Natural groundcover weed

californianMay 9, 2005

I have some weed that looks like something people would actually spend money to buy growing all over my property as a ground cover. It is very low growing and prostrate, maybe two or three inches, has tiny shiny spade shaped leaves that grow in rosettes, and makes miniature four petaled square shaped salmon colored flowers, and the stems look like niniature vines. It can be mowed and from a distance looks pretty good so I let it grow and in fact encourage it. The only problem is it makes these little pea sized sticker ball seeds that get stuck in clothing and my cats hair. It can grow in sun or shade, but dries up in the sun eventually if not watered, but can go for a long time in the shade without water. From the description can anyone tell what it is?

I have another weed that is almost the same size but instead of salmon colored flowers it makes green flowers that sort of look like granules like clover flowers do. It makes thousands of seeds, if fact if I mow it the mower bag is full of the seeds. Any idea what that one is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
californian

Mistake, the little sticker balls are coming from some weed that grows on threadlike vines with tiny yellow flowers, not fron the ones with slightly thicker vines with salmon colored flowers. So I actually have three different knds of groundcovers that grow on very thin vinelike stems.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 5:32PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

This is likely one of them, maybe you can ID the others from this site too...

Here is a link that might be useful: burrs

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 6:28PM
californian

MorZ8, thanks for the link. I went through all the weeds and think two of mine are California Burclover and Scarlet Pimpernel, also known as poormans weather glass as it can be used to predict rain by whether the flowers are open or closed. I still have one other that may be chickweed but the pictures don't show a plant that has gone to seed. BTW, one Scarlet Pimpernel plant can produce 12,000 seeds. Whatever this weed is I think it will completely take over my lawn soon, but I don't mind as I think it is better than grass as its prettier and I don't have to mow it or even water it.

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 12:35AM
youreit

Californian, I was going to suggest it might be scarlet pimpernel, as my mom has some growing in her yard this year, and she loves the look of it, as well. When you said it was 4-petalled, it threw me off the scent, though. :D

Enjoy that beauty!

Brenda

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Sticky Weed, Sticky Willy, Velcro Weed
I wanted to post about something that is taking my...
Bryan Scott
Bleach & Poison Ivy
A few days ago I did a search of the Weeds Forum to...
Xeramatheum
Chemical Free Weed Control? - Wild Violet, Plantain, Wild Strawb
Hello! What chemical free ways are available to rid...
nice_girl
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Sponsored Products
Kalahari Lines Giclee Glow 13 1/2" Brass Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Corinth Round Green Onyx Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Zuo Union Square Natural Counter Chair
Euro Style Lighting
Imax IK Kassa Embroidered Pillow with Down Fill - 42178
$79.99 | Hayneedle
White rattan tray w/ handle round 26"
Origin Crafts
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Yves Delorme Etoile Wash Cloth
$14.50 | FRONTGATE
International Caravan Royal Tahiti Oslo Contemporary Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™