Eastern Brown Snake

stoloniferous(6)May 13, 2008

The little brown snakes are out and about! This little guy caught me potting up some jack-in-the-pulpits, and stayed to watch. He was remarkably un-camera-shy.

There's more about him in my blog. . .

http://thecluelessgardeners.blogspot.com/2008/05/eastern-brown-snake.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stoloniferous(6)

A friend of mine LOL-catted my snake! :D

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 12:59PM
wayne_mo(MO)

Hmmm...that's an interesting looking snake for your area.

I went to your blog and the first snake in the bucket is indeed a brown snake, but the snake in your pictures on this thread appears to be a racer.

I say its an interesting snake because it is very lightly colored for an adult racer from your area and yet it also lacks the blotches of a juvenile racer.

But despite the odd coloration and lack of juvenile patterning, it really does look like a racer.

Fascinating snake. I think it's technically a Northern Black Racer even though there is nothing "black" about it.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 4:16PM
stoloniferous(6)

ThatÂs an interesting thought, Wayne. However, the snakeÂs scales are keeled. Brown snakes have keeled scales, and racers donÂt, according to the UMass site. (And I just learned something new about snakes, thanks!) A couple of other details: this snake wasnÂt all that fast, and also it and another very much like it were both hanging out under leaf litter, which sounds like the preferred habitat of brown snakes.

It is the same snake in both photographs, by the way. :) The bucket picture was insanely orange, so I tried to fix the color of the photo.

I keep calling it an "eastern" brown snake out of habit, but IÂm starting to think I misremembered the name I learned as a kid. I guess itÂs just a "brown snake".

Another website: http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/stodek.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: UMass snake ID site

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 6:37PM
wayne_mo(MO)

Well if its the same snake in both photos I have to agree with you. Stripeless morph of a garter snake also crossed my mind as a possibility, but I think you're right that it is a Brown Snake. The tongue flick is awesome!

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 10:34AM
curlyrebel(7)

You don't mention how long the snake is??

They're are two species of brown snake in the U.S..

Yours looks like a southern Brown Snake.

Dennis

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 8:32PM
stoloniferous(6)

Hi Dennis. The snake was less than a foot long. That's a dried up maple leaf in the corner of the photo, for scale.

I don't think there are southern brown snakes this far north. I'm in Massachusetts.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 5:17PM
mikeygraz(5 Omaha, NE)

Yeah...that is definitely a brown snake (Storeria dekayi) - keeled scales give it away...

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Squirrels are stealing my river rock
Over the past two weeks I have observed the squirrels...
Brian.evans
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™