Parsley-looking weed?

Hilary224June 19, 2013

I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard garden this spring, and I thought I was growing a whole bunch of parsley until I realized it's not parsley. I ate some of it - it doesn't taste like much, but it hasn't killed me yet, either. I have stopped eating it, though. The picture has a leaf of confirmed parsley on the left with whatever I'm growing on the right. The flower is from a neighboring plant. I haven't seen this weed in any other place in my neighborhood, so I don't know what it is, where it came from or how it's growing so fast! Help, anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Well it definitely isn't parsley, nor is it any herb that I recognise. If it is growing fast and isn't what you want you need to weed it out. It is not a good idea to try eating anything that looks like parsley, unless you are certain, since one of the most toxic plants, poison hemlock, Conium maculatum, is similar.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:06AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Did you sow any celery seeds?

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 4:43PM
florauk(8/9)

The one in the hand on the left is the confirmed parsley the OP refers to. The other leaves don't look like celery to me, Purple.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 1:32PM
kimpa(z6b PA)

Could be ragweed

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 9:54PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The Parsley, "Apiaceae", family is very wide spread, and includes Queen Annes Lace as well as the carrot. That leaf does not look anything like ragweed, however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsley family

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 7:05AM

This celery is growing from a stump I stuck in the ground after we ate "the good parts." The leaves are somewhat variable.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:00AM

Another pic.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:01AM
florauk(8/9)

The OP's mystery plant has quite pointed leaflets and, although celery leaves are variable, I still don't think that is what this plant is. I'm actually not even sure it is Apiaceae at all. Some more pictures would be useful showing the stems, the whole plant and its habit.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:55PM

I'm not married to my suggestion either. Just showing the evidence for my suggestion, which I know came from grocery store celery. Plants with variable basal leaves are very tricky. I'm up for a new pic, too, if Hilary is still tracking this mystery and has an interest in doing so.

FWIW, isn't celery heavily manipulated, put in the dark to make those long, naked stalks? I've never seen celery for sale as a seed crop (but haven't looked either, so wouldn't swear to that.) I don't think any home gardener can reproduce store-bought celery by just having celery plants outside, but would appreciate having this notion corrected if it's not how it works.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 12:34PM
florauk(8/9)

You can grow celery similar to store bought if you blanch it. Was the celery you grew from a stump from celeriac or celery?

I'm wondering if the original mystery weed is Bidens bipinnata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bidens bipinnata

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:56AM

My stump was just regular celery.

That plant from your link is so similar. One definitely needs to know their plant before munching!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:58AM
lollipopabi

could be Parsley-Piert,but I have the same thing and have been trying to find its name and think it might be cilantro.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary Cotterill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™