Using Ground Clear

emma229June 20, 2013

I have a small area of weeds close to the boundary and want to use ground clear.

The land the other side of the boundary wall is about 2 feet higher than my land.

Is it safe to use ground clear - or will it damage the plants on the other (higher) side of the wall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This is a glyphosate product that is supposed to kill any plant it touches. Whether it will "damage" the plants on the other side ot that wall depends on it any of it drifts there.
There are better, more environmentally safer, methods of controlling unwanted plant growth.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:32AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Were you invited/permitted to put chemicals on someone else's property?

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 4:48PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Emma, this is a product you really need to be very careful of in most residential settings.

It's a bigger problem being moved by watering or rain to areas downhill from where its been applied, not up hill. But its not advised to use it withing two times the distance of the canopy of trees or shrubs, so if you have a neighbor with shrubs for example that are 4' wide, you'd want to stay at least twice that far from them and not apply the product any closer than 8' away (per the label) even if you were putting it down on ground inside your ownership boundary.

It's one I don't find appropriate many times for a lot of different reasons, there are less problematic products you can use with less risk for inadvertent damage. To your own things, or to your neighbors :) Your climate should be somewhat similar to my own and it doesn't last a year here after application anyway, it's effectiveness is much shorter period than that with my persistent coastal rains. If you'd have to reapply anyway, you may as well find a less toxic product to give your attention to.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 5:34PM
emma229

Thank you morz8 for your ADVICE, which was what I was hoping for, rather than the sarcasm posted by other members. I have used a rootkill weedkiller. Your help is much appreciated.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 10:52AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Not sarcasm, an honest question. I see nothing sarcastic about the info Kim provided either. A "small area of weeds" should be easy to clear manually, but kudos to you for asking for advice regarding using chemicals if that is the method you prefer. Glad you found what you were looking for. Best of luck and results!

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™