cardboard and newspaper

waldowadeJune 4, 2008

I've been seeing references to killing/choking out weeds by placing cardboard and newspaper over them. Before I do something like this I want to make sure this isn't going to harm my rose bushes, oleander, or lantana. My understanding is that you place the paper down and it chokes the weeds out but watering still gets through to the roots of the plants I have. Is this correct? If so, I am very excited about trying a method this simple to get rid of weeds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Placing newspaper, or cardboard, over your soil will prevent any plant, "weed" or not, from getting the access to the sunlight all plants need to grow, so they don't. The only reason using either newspaper, or cardboard, may harm your Roses, Oleander, or Lantana would be if you covered them with that newspaper, or cardboard. Over time as the newspaper, or cardboard, soaks up moisture they will allow moisture through for your plants, however, initially they will not allow that water through so it is s good idea to thoroughly wet your soil before putting these materials down, and that is why some people think wetting the paper before putting it down is a good idea, which it is not.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 8:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waldowade

that makes sense, thanks for the response

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
Questions about Imazapyr and trees
Hey there. I recently used a product called RM43 to...
Emily Berg
Lesser Celandine - Edible?
Has anyone tried eating Lesser Celandine? What does...
zone5shade
Black Medic (Medicago lupulina)
Black medic was growing rampant in my garden. I used...
Gary
thistle help
For the last few years i have been battling thistles...
violet14
Sponsored Products
Miniature Wiggle Side Chair by Vitra
$190.00 | Lumens
Promenade Dining Side Chair in White
$79.00 | LexMod
Polaris p015 Double Bowl Stainless Steel Sink
PLFixtures
Star Reversible Cubby Bin - Set of Six
$21.99 | zulily
kaarskoker Coral 4 in. x 7/8 in. Yellow Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 YLW-COR-4C
$11.20 | Home Depot
kaarskoker Cane 4 in. x 7/8 in. Sunshine Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 SUN-CAN-4
$5.38 | Home Depot
Metalarte | Walden M Table Lamp
YLighting
Moooi | Paper Side Table
$566.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™