Baby Rabbit in Front Yard (Help!)

irishguy24(LI 7)May 24, 2009

I live in your typical Long Island suburb with no dense woods around for a couple of miles. On our front walkway there is a small baby rabbit, just sitting beneath one of our planter boxes. It isn't a newborn and from what I read it must have just left the nest (its ears are pink, not black and it is about the size of my fist). Strange thing is I have never seen a rabbit around our home in the 20 years I have been here. Now I have been reading these forums for enough time and am smart enough to know to just leave the rabbit alone. But if it is still there after a certain amount of time, do I try to relocate it to a better location? Is the mother still around here? It looks healthy and is sitting completely motionless. What should I do? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irishguy24(LI 7)

UPDATE: I see what I presume is the mother on my neighbor's lawn across the street and the baby has now moved to under the car in my driveway. I realize it can probably fend quite well for itself and will obviously leave it alone. I just hope a cat won't stumble upon it tonight.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 7:41PM
cjc45(9 Mount Dora FL)

Glad the momma turned up. Sitting still for a very long time is typical of rabbits. We used to camp at Big Bend National Park and in the evening the cottontails would line up across the road and stare at us. It was a little eery. We lived in an Ohio suburb and the bunnies did the same thing. The exception was our neighbor's pet rabbit who used to escape and come over to eat the clover in our lawn.

If you want to help keep them safe, build a little brush pile in the back yard, thorny shrub cuttings are great, remember Br'er Rabbit?

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 8:53PM
irishguy24(LI 7)

Last I looked, the baby had made it across the street safely (yay!) and was on the lawn with momma. All's well that ends well!

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 9:24PM
maifleur01

They are cute. I try to build small brush piles using old berry and rose canes with long grape vines. The rabbits will make a tunnels through the grape vines. The piles are spingy and loose enough that hawks and other things have problems with the coils of the grape vines and after a few tries will leave things alone unless real hungry then they will wait until emerges.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 9:45PM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

Cats decimate local infant wildlife. To prevent this, since you know there are babies outside, keep the cat indoors.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 8:14AM
irishguy24(LI 7)

Elly, I have a very happy and healthy INDOOR cat who has never stepped foot outside. I was saying I hope A cat doesn't get to it, not my cat.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 5:52PM
hardee38

Get a rabbit trap they are harmless to the little guy. Then you get him somewhere safe.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
What to do with a territorial Mocking bird?!
I have a Mocking bird who chases every bird that comes...
armyyife
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - Modern White Leather Sectional Sofa - VGEV-SP-8016-WHT
Great Furniture Deal
Quoizel Hillcrest 17" High Bronze Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
16" White Cedar Planter - Set of 2
Fifthroom.com
American Drew Grand Isle 5 Piece Panel Media Bedroom Set in Amber
Beyond Stores
Barbados Chest
FRONTGATE