First loss in my new little pond

catherinet(5 IN)May 3, 2006

Hi all,

Recently, I put a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank in the back yard, for lotus, lilies and marginals. I worried about some little animal falling in and drowning, so until my plants grow bigger, I set 2 plastic milk crates in there. That way, if something fell in, they could hold onto that, until I could rescue them. Well, tonight I found a little drowned mouse. I felt soooooooooo bad. they just don't have the sense to try a different part of the pond. Poor little fella. :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
putzer(z4 WI)

It is never easy to find something dead in the pond-we have found a dead bird in ours before. I put in some rough rocks on the little shelves so that they are sitting a couple of inches above the water, yet they slope a bit so birds can drink.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 12:41AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Hi putzer,
I have a 300 gallon stocktank that I've sunk into the ground. It doesn't have shelves. I'm glad for that, since hopefully the coons will leave things alone....but they would be nice for the little guys who fall in. I wonder if pieces of styrofoam would work, until the plants get big enough for them to hold onto.......like little life preservers?

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 8:04PM
putzer(z4 WI)

I don't think styrofoam would work-it would be hard for anything to climb up onto. Maybe someone in the Ponds & Aquatic Plants forum would have more ideas.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
30+ turkey vultures!
Hi all, I was driving home from picking my kids up...
catherinet
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™