Thorny weed identification

RV86June 10, 2011

Hi,

I have a large patch of weeds growing and spreading rapidly in a cleared patch of woods near my garden. The weeds have thorns and are very nasty if they get attached to your clothing! The older stems are red and woody and have five flat sides. The largest ones are around 4 feet tall. Any idea what they are? Best way to get rid of them? Thanks in advance for advice! Below are some pictures...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Looks like a blackberry (Rubus sp.) thicket. Not sure about eradication technique other than herbicide since it spreads by suckers from the roots and would come back up from any stray roots left in the ground. If left unchecked, blackberries can get away from you!
hortster

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 4:48PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Digging is the most effective. Then check during successive years to get the seedling & re-sprouts from missed roots.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:39PM
noinwi

Looks like Himalayan Blackberry, Rubus armeniacus. Extremely invasive in many states. Your local(county/state)noxious weed control board can give you info on how to best control it in your area(mechanical methods, spray schedules, etc).

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 10:23PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Keep in mind that spraying herbicides, plant poisons, is harmful to our environment and has been shown to cause genetic mutations in lower order creatures that may indicate problems for us. What is the reason for the genetic changes in us humans since these products have seen greater use since the 1950's?

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 7:08AM
More Discussions
Lawn Weed
Hi Guys, I live in Central Coastal Queensland and I...
Artesian
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™