mystery amphibian

Vinh(9)May 16, 2012

i found this frog/toad in my garden. any information on this amphibian would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you in Florida?

Looks like the dreaded Cuban Tree Frog, to me. They are a highly undesirable and destructive invasive species, if this is what you have. Their coloring varies, as does the intensity of the spots on their bodies so look up several different images to compare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:58AM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

I am in Michigan so I am not familiar with this tree frog, but I have heard it is a problem. Can you tell me why? Kinda like our bull frogs here eating all the native frogs?

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:35AM
Vinh(9)

rhizo,

thanks for the info. i read the article and looked at some photos of the cuban tree frog, and while the photos bear a marked similarity with the frog in my photo, the description of the cuban tree frog does not match with the frog i observed. but i hope it's not the cuban tree frog.

i live in california and found the frog in a cool, dark, dry cardboard box where i store jars of seeds outdoor. i'd say it's about 1.5 to 2 inches.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 11:55AM

Glad to hear it, vinh. I hope that someone from your part of the country will be able to ID this pretty frog. The Cuban has not shown up in the west, as yet.

Have you gone over the the NatureNet location in GardenWeb and posted your good picture in the Reptile and Amphibian forum? It won't go unidentified for very long. Be sure to post your location.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:34PM

Glad to hear it, vinh. I hope that someone from your part of the country will be able to ID this pretty frog. The Cuban has not shown up in the west, as yet.

Have you gone over the the NatureNet location in GardenWeb and posted your good picture in the Reptile and Amphibian forum? It won't go unidentified for very long. Be sure to post your location.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:36PM
zippelk

Pseudacris triseriata, chorus frog

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 10:05PM
danetherton(6b)

Likely a California Tree Frog (the frog which says "ribbet" in all the Hollywood movies).

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™