Will this bird's nest damage my house?

zirconxJune 30, 2013

A robin has built a nest on top of my gutter and against my house. Will this damage it? I don't want to disturb them if I don't have to. If I do have to move it, what's the best option? Try to place it in a tree?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zirconx

Actually it's not a robin. Not sure what kind of bird this is.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 2:08PM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

It is a robin. The worst that happens is the poop that collects around the nest, but most people tolerate this for the pleasure of sharing their home with these sweet birds.

You can't move the nest in this case.

You can put something directly under the nest to catch the poop. But remember, if you repeatedly approach the nest the bird may abandon it, or the babies can get frightened and jump out of the nest prematurely.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:12AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

In my experience with robins, there doesn't seem to be much that will disturb them. We had one insist on building a nest on top of our porch lamp just outside the front door.

We kept knocking it down and back up it would go! Finally, she constructed a darned skyscraper and laid her eggs. All before 5 am, when I usually made my first demolition. Once she laid the eggs.....she won the battle.

She raised her family in spite of the fact that the nest was inches away from the door we used all day long. The babies fledged in our front yard.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™