Help!! I have Fishwort I can't get rid of

deborah1175(Athens Georgia)June 12, 2007

Two years ago a very sweet older gentleman gave me some Sugar Candy lilies. When the lilies started coming up I discovered I had been lucky enough to get an extra freebie. About 6 months ago the whole bed was covered in what folks here told me was Fishwort.

I practically dug up the whole bed and pulled out a 5-gallon bucket of this nasty smelling stuff. Since the root system runs so deep and there are many other plants in the bed (clematis, lilies, hybiscus, etc), I still have some of the stuff coming back. Any ideas on how to get completely rid of it without losing the other plants? I found one root about 6-8 inches down right through the middle of the clematis root system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

I wasn't sure what "fishwort" was but I found the latin name, Yikes, "houttuynia cordata" or chameleon plant is very, very difficult to eradicate. It's considered highly invasive and it's rhizomes will regrow if you toss them aside. Do a gardenweb search on "Houttuynia" or "chameleon plant." (Get a glass of wine 1st...and a box of tissue:)

I once planted bishop's weed, not knowing what it was. I thought I'd never get rid of it! And I don't think it's as bad as fishwort. Reportedly it takes several treatments of Round-Up to kill it. Even if you could spray it. The only other alternative is to dig it out. I know, I know! Either way, it's a major task.

BUT...IF you choose to use an herbicide you can wrap the plants in plastic trash bags to protect them from the spray....all the way to the bottom of the stems. I really don't know how many sprays it will take to do a complete kill. Then you might think it's dead and it might rear it's ugly head again.

Another thing, if you use Round-Up don't get the pre-mixed stuff. Go for the "super concentrate." Make sure you spray on a very hot day when there's no wind. I'd also use a "spreader sticker" to help the spray adhere to the plant leaves. Read about it here;

http://www.plant-care.com/1271-wetting-agents.html

You can find it in most garden centers.

BTW, the Chinese name for the plant means "smelly fish."
I also found this on the web.
http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_11050

I wish you luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houttuynia Cordata

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Can you help me identify this weed?
It is growing in Atlanta, Georgia.
tigger033
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
Barricade question
I'm considering purchasing the following for my Bermuda...
gardenal
Can anyone tell me if this is a weed or flower and type
Can anyone tell me if this is a weed or flower and...
jamie parkes
Sponsored Products
300-Thread Count Feather Pillow & Cover - Set of Four
$49.99 | zulily
Hughes Leather Single Arm Sofa - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
New Caucasian Super Kazak Hand Knotted Pure Wool 2'x6' Geometric Area Rug H5268
BH Sun Inc
Maria Theresa Chrome Forty-One Light 52-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Cry
Bellacor
Collette Tufted Storage Ottoman
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Mies van der Rohe: Barcelona Loveseat
Modern Classics Furniture
Area Rug: New Flokati Tan 2' 4" x 4' 3"
$72.97 | Home Depot
Foscarini | Diesel Collection Stud Piccola Table Lamp
$536.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™