Yellow Squash problems

dfred(8)May 20, 2008

My squash plants are really looking good.... They are making lots of baby squash but alot of them keep getting black on the ends and then rotting. Is this becuase they are touching the dirt? I'm pretty sure that I was over watering about two weeks ago but thanks to you guys I'm learning to stop drowing my plants! I thought that by now the squash would have healed but they still seem to be having problems... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstonmellie

I have had that same problem for years and finally just gave up on growing it altogether. I think the problem is the humidity causes the blooms to get moldy and then rot. I once read that it is best to get them up onto a trellis where they don't touch the dirt and where wind can keep down the molding and rotting. Hope someone else knows exactly what to do because I need to know also.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 4:45PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

It's because they didn't get pollinated.....no really.......they can grow for a while if the female isn't pollinated but then they rot on the end and die.......weird eh?

Solution is get bees or hand pollinate.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 6:27PM
fool4flowers(8)

Put some mulch under the plants to keep them off the dirt and google blossom end rot and see if thats what you have.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 10:39PM
prairiepaintbrush(RedOak, TX z7/8)

Spray with an organic anti-fungal?

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 8:20PM
suburbangreen(8)

I am growing 8-ball zucchini so practically the same thing. As stated earlier if the female blooms with the baby squash doesn't get pollinated then it drops off. Try to hand pollinate by taking one of long male stems without the baby squash at the bottom and rubbing the end of it inside the female bloom(Note that the female blooms opens in the early morning).
Otherwise, make sure to mulch and keep consistent watering not constant watering. Blossom end rot could be the problem, maybe you could add some bone meal or epsom salts for that.
My squash always does great until the vine borers gets them. I'm picking zucchini about every day right now.
Finally, and my best advice, is to visit the vegetable forum and do a search for the answer or ask a question there.

Pete

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 7:38PM
karin4467(z8 TX)

I roll pieces of pliable chicken wire into softball or soccer sized balls and place them underneath my squash plants. It allows air to circulate underneath the plants and keeps the squash off the ground. Try it!

Now if I would have caught the squash boring grub things in time, I'd be eating some squash :(

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 9:39AM
bobbi_p(z8/9 Cypress, TX)

Also, not sure how long yours have been blooming, but I believe there are female and male blooms in the squash family. The females bloom first, and therefore, you might have some blooms and itty bitty non-pollinated squash succumb before the male blooms.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 1:15PM
Angie6160

I'm having the same issue with my yellow squash and zukes. I have lots of ants crawling in the blooms but not doing damage so would think they are pollinating well. Could the ants be preventing pollination somehow?

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™