Cardinal with a cold?

selkieJune 7, 2007

Hi all,

The song of cardinals is a constant presence in our garden. Yesterday, I heard the distinctive cardinal tweeeeeet-tweet-tweet-tweet, but it sounded scratchy, as if the cardinal had a sore throat. Could this be a mockingbird imitating a cardinal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310(z5 MI)

could also be a baby just learning it's song, I have a ton of baby everything right now and there are definatly lots of peeps and some attemps to sound like Mom and Dad,

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 9:07AM
selkie

Thanks for the info, lisa. That could explain it. How sweet!

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 11:03AM
terrene(5b MA)

Not sure about the cardinal, but I noticed something weird about this thread - the main menu says 6 replies, but I only see 2 before mine?

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 10:45AM
lellie(z9 Anna Maria Island)

Go figure....comes as no surprise to me. LOL

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 11:07AM
selkie

Looks like some inflammatory replies were deleted.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 11:28AM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

why would anybody be inflammatory? ;)

could be a young bird learning the song, could be a bird that just has the equivalent of a frog in the throat. We used to have a quail around here that would have his voice crack every time he did the usual "bob-WHITE" call. Each time he got to the last part it would be all screechy and off-sounding. I wonder if some birds just have impaired ability to reproduce their usual calls, or if it's an injury or something.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 12:47PM
selkie

*chuckle*

It never occurred to me to actually observe birds as individuals before. Used to be that all cardinals sounded the same to me. How neat that each can have its own timbre and tone to its singing. I'll have to listen more closely.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 2:08PM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

Birds are even known to have regional 'dialects' , little subtle differences in their calls that vary geographically.

WHat we need now is a Professor Higgins from "My Fair Lady"

or think Cardinal with a hick redneck twang.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 11:38PM
selkie

LOL!!! Up here they'd be saying, "Tweeeeeeeeeet-tweet-tweet-tweet-eh?"

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:40AM
Annette Holbrook

Well, after reading this I had to tell y'all about a favorite pastime at our house in spring.
We usually order a box of chicks every spring to replenish our flock of egg laying hens. Generally we end up with 3-4 roosters in a batch of 25. When they get to be anywhere from 8-16 weeks old the roos start practicing crowing. You have never heard anything so funny as those first few weeks of crowing. We will be at breakfast and the baby chickens are kept in a pen right outside the kitchen (they have to be pretty close to full sized to be put in with the adult flock). Anyway we are all at breakfast choking on our juice and cereal because of the general clumsiness of the crowing. And when we try to go watch they always clam up, we just know they are mortified!!
Annette

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 9:55PM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

I guess adolescence is tough no matter what species you are....

and by the way, we are so hicked-up here that our barred owls say "who-cooks-for-you-uns"
just kidding (really I'm not but the neighbors will figure out I'm talking about them)

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™