Can I interest anyone in a woodchuck? [g]

prairiemoon2 z6 MAJune 17, 2007

How would you like to provide a loving home to a cute, furry little woodchuck? We would be happy to deliver him to anyone who would provide him a loving home. He won't need feeding..or housing as he will take care of himself. He will wander around your yard twice a day for you to observe. [g]

:-)

pm2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

Only if he has a whole family to come with and mill in the lawn to eat clover each day : )

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 9:44AM
ksfarmer(z5/Ks NC Kansas)

Could this be the same woodchuck who ate half my garden last year before moving on to a happier hunting ground?

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 3:59PM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

No. I think you killed yours. We are speaking in fun of ours.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 4:18PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Hello elly and ks...

Yes, you've got me. I was "half" kidding..lol. I haven't seen a family yet, just one woodchuck, and half the garden is not eaten....YET....just about 1/8th of the garden so far. I was certain no one on gardenweb would be interested in adopting our groundhog, but then I saw the forum title "Attracting Wildlife" and thought..why not? Maybe there is someone on the forum that really would enjoy watching a groundhog on their property and wouldn't actually be a gardener and wouldn't mind what he ate. :-)

No takers? [g]

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 4:58PM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

I will! I love them! I watch them every day. I have a family of three. I live in a wildife refuge, and they eat the clover in the lawn.

So far all bulidings are standing and we have all survived : )

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 7:52PM
vonyon

Woodchucks don't like dogs. I have heard that you could tie your dog down near your garden and they will leave. You will still have a woodchuck local, but it will stop eating your garden.Of course, you don't want the dog loose down there or it will chase and kill the woodchuck.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 9:58PM
florey

Got any pictures? I never really get to see them, for a clear idea.
Groundhogs and woodchucks don't get a lot of pictures, except of course when forecasting, when we get to see a furry back.

I believe in an asumption of 'local' ground hogs, who would probably have been around, in my town, and in yours, for local weather input, in the Northeast. Love the lore, don't you, even if it did come in from afar- the Celts? He got 3 out of 5 when i was a kid, now, not so much.

Back a couple of decades, he would tend to see his shadow in a cold spell of a high pressure system. On the zone 6-7 border you could usually expect 6 weeks anyway. Poor guy, these el ninos and ninas are tough, for a forecast, not to mention climate change. :)
I do believe in science.I do,I do! :)

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 12:24AM
bulldinkie(pa)

Get yourself a jack russell terrier.........

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 8:33AM
kwilson(Z6 KY)

I'm glad to see someone else has a groung hog. I have a fallen oak tree in my yard that the ground hog has made his, their home under. I have to say I enjoy watching them. They have really taken care of my clover and plantain problem. The only flowers they have bothered are my shasta daisies. I have a outdoor kitten that loves to sneak up on him wanting to play. He could care less. He just found a good place to eat. So I guess they get to stay.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 5:09PM
cre8ivmind(75115)

I'd like some but they're not native here in north TX. :(

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 1:04PM
donnamp14(z5MA)

I'll trade you a woodchuk for my opossum. Caveat: He's about the size of a volkswagon beetle and fearless. He's already actually BENT metal stakes holding candlelanterns!

Any takers?

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 12:22PM
widdringtonia(8a)

Florey, here's one of mine. :) This is the closest I can get to him (her?) - the picture was taken at the max zoom on my camera (x12). As I have nothing planted yet, the groundhog family haven't been able to do any damage, so I still have them in the cute and tolerated category.

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 4:35PM
laurabs(7b)

I see them as I drive, and they are interesting. They will stand up and wait for traffic to go away before crossing the road. For a long time I used to see one sunbathing in somebody's yard, on a hill, nearly every day. Guess my yard is safe since my husky likes to be tied out in the front yard for hours at a time, just watching.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 7:25PM
florey

Thanks so much for the picture, gee, there's quite a family resemblance to his squirrel and prairie dog cousins, in that picture.
He's a handsome fellow there.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Sponsored Products
Disco Warp Lamp
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
12-piece 8 Function Pathway Marker Effect
Overstock.com
Monarch Specialties Chocolate Brown Tan Contrast Micro-Suede Love Seat I 8512BR
Beyond Stores
Old World Designer 24" Wide Bathroom Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Glamos Wire Garden Stake - 10 Pack - 87001
$38.81 | Hayneedle