unknow flower name

TwoMonths(So Calif)May 21, 2012

My aunt in ETX has plants she calls Flowering Bamboo. Hers has purple flowers but she said other colors are available.

She gave me one and I planted in So CA. Mine seems to bloom summer, fall and most of the winter before dying back only to come back all fresh. Hers dies back in the winter time. They seem to have a dusty purple stem and purple tinted dark green leaves. Flowers are a medium purple. All my internet searches fail to find out the name. I feel she has the wrong common name. Can anyone help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Could you possibly post a pic of it? That would be very helpful.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 4:34PM
TwoMonths(So Calif)

lets see if this works now with Photobucket

\

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 4:54PM
bossjim1

It looks like tall ruellia to me. Check out the link to see if it matches.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruellia brittoniana

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 5:51PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I agree, it looks like ruella. It can become quite a garden thug. It spits it seeds far afield and grows from stolens. There is a thread about Garden thugs and ruella and bamboo were decking it out as the most troublesome plants. I got hit in the eye by a flying seed in my garden once.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 12:12AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

My purple ruellia does not propagate by seed, only the pink does. The purple spreads by runners underground that will take years to get out..... I have been working in one area for at least ten years now, and occasionally they still pop up. My suggestion to you if you like this plant would be to grow it in a container.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 9:17AM
TwoMonths(So Calif)

Thanks all. That is it. Mine here has not really spread. It just came back up after it kinda winter died back. But it will bloom all year from start til then.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 4:55PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

My mil has purple ones that spring up across wide expanses of concrete from each other. I think she has seen the seeds in the air. We call them popping flowers.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 8:44PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Only my purple Katie ruellia reseeds for me, the tall does not at my house.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:13PM
beachplant(9b)

RUN AWAY! It all spreads like the weed it is, tall, short, pink, white, I rue the day I planted ruellia.
seeds, runners....grrrrr!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 11:13PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I aggree with Beachplant. I have been hit in the eye by flying ruella seed. It was the Pink "chi- chi" one. It also spred by stolons and It took over my yard.... Beachplant, I did run away. I moved.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:05AM
beachplant(9b)

LOL! Chicken! Not that I blame you, that stuff is just dreadful. I hate standing in the yard after it rains and hearing those dang pods snap. GRRRR!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 4:54PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

It is well named "Flowering Bamboo" since like running bamboo it spreads from stolons like crazy and once you have it you have it forever -- unless you move -- that is ... :-)

However, I did read that a non spreading tall purple had been developed in Florida. If it was known to live up to that reputation I'd get it in a second if I could find it for sale here.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Meet and Greet - Plant and Seed Swap 2015 (San Antonio, Texas)
Join us on Facebook Group: San Antonio Texas Gardener...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
San Antonio Gardeners Swap: Free
For more details please join us online. FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RevolutionGreenSeedBank/ Greetings...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™