Can't figure out this weed

rlp2955June 15, 2011

We have a tree in our backyard that every year has these plant like weeds that grow in the mulch and the surrounding area. I am including a link to a pic I took tonight. I would obviously like to figure out what this is and how I get rid of it. Please help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to weed photo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

You didn't mention what kind of tree these grow around, but they look very much like root-sprouts from the tree itself. A number of trees will do this.

Compare the leaves of the 'weeds' to the leaves of the tree. They may not look exactly the same, but are they very similar in the details?

If so, there isn't a lot you can do to 'fix' this. But the mulch circle you have around the tree is very small. You could dig down some in this small area, put down heavy plastic, and then mulch this small circle more heavily. Won't interfere with your tree's growth because the area is so small. The roots involved in uptake will be beyond this circle.

The other ones, in the area that is being mowed anyways, just ignore them. Mow them down as you mow the grass.

Linda

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:35PM
rlp2955

We aren't sure exactly what kind of tree it is but my wife thinks it's a pear tree. How do root sprouts grown? Is this from something dropping off the leaves or something to do with the tree roots?

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:40PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

They are sort of like suckers from a lilac; cut them off just under the ground. New ones will probably keep coming, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: about root sprouts

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:56PM
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

The tree roots just keep developing new above-ground 'sprouts'. Happens with a number of ornamental trees, especially ornamental fruit trees.

In the morning, compare the leaves. If possible, send a photo of the tree's leaves. I really think you are dealing with root sprouts here, not weeds.

If they were weeds, they would be in other areas of the yard as well. If they only keep recurring under and around this tree.... Then, yep.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Idea for homemade herbicide: think it'll work?
So I have been brewing kombucha at home. A bunch of...
irjowo99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™