Tomato Fertilizers...

fireduck(10a)June 11, 2013

There is much discussion and some disagreement on tomatoe fertilizers. I grow in containers. Many people have their secret blends of major and minor elements and "complete" fertilizers.Today I bought a shaker of the MiracleGro granular/time released tomato fertilizer. I know a lot of people bad-mouth the MG products. However, when I look at the ingredients...I see it is much more of a "complete" fertilizer than some that are being recommended. The minor elements and calcium convinced me this product has quality. I do not wish to turn my garage into a total pharmacy....haha. I have also been encouraged by a liquid fertilizer (complete) that is highly touted on another container growing forum. It is called Foliage Pro.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

No need for a pharmacy. What you have will be fine for container-grown tomatoes.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:39PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Aside from other view and issues(MG, organic), I think that TIME RELEASE fertilizer fits best for pot/container growing, because it will leach out at much slower rate.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:28AM
fireduck(10a)

S...the time-release aspect appeals to me, as well. Less chance of burn...and does not dissipate quickly and fall through drain holes.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:25AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think tomato is no different from any other fruits bearing garden veggies. It requires all the basic ingredient (all purpose) early on and later less "N" and more "P" and some "K" when starts setting fruits.

I have seen pictures of towering tomato plants. And I think I know how that happens.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
barrie2m_

Ideally you would want to vary the fertilizer amount and makeup as your growing and fruiting season progresses since plant nutrient needs change and you can find specificic recommendations for tomatoes from various university hort websites. But I also like the idea of a slow release fertilizer for container gardens since research with most flowering plants shows an advantage of using them.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 12:11AM
fireduck(10a)

Actually, my 3 containers (Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, and Early Girl) are all healthy and giving good fruit. I am a bit surprised that the height of these only remains around 3-3 1/2 feet...with slow growth now (not complaining). My very un-scientific fertigation program (frequent apps of tomato tone, MG, and Foliage Pro) seems to be acceptable. I bet I could improve...just not sure how. I think the fast-draining mix is key...

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Sponsored Products
Roots Organics Soil - ROD
$25.83 | Hayneedle
Boyds Tomato Treasure Box Figurine
$11.99 | zulily
Sunshine Natural & Organic Aggregate - 3.8 cu.ft. Bale - SUGRMIX4NO
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Tomodachi Splash Cutlery Set
$24.99 | zulily
Emerson Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor