viburnum prunifolium Ovazam

pankhi(z7Md)June 18, 2005

Does anyone know how well Ovazam fruits compared to the species and do birds like the Ovazam fruits? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
viburnumvalley(z5/6 KY)

I don't have this blackhaw in the collection (yet), so no firsthand experience, but I'm aware of its attributes.

Lake County Nursery (introducer of 'Ovazam', also trademarked as Ovation) doesn't particularly dwell on this plant's fruiting capacity, so I'd assume it falls into the average for V. prunifolium. As with the rest of the genus, you'll fare better if you have another dissimilar blackhaw to assist with cross-pollination. Blackhaw is a larger plant (like crabapple, redbud, and dogwood) so plan to give it some space.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 6:36PM
pankhi(z7Md)

Thank you again Viburnumvalley. I was interested in the Ovazam because of its size. I figured, based on all you have taught me in the past year, I would get 1 true species and 1-2 Ovazams to conserve on space. I just hope that it does produce reasonable fruits.

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 5:19PM
newtoyardwork

I am considering this as a hedge for privacy from neighbor. Ideally, I would like for this hedge to be 12' tall and 2-3' wide and provide total privacy in the summer. Is this a good choice? Can anyone recommend anything better (Zone 6 - Connecticut).

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™