Marigolds, Myths, and Mites

LB_GardenerJune 24, 2011

I don't know if anyone else has heard that marigolds are a natural way to repel insects from your tomato plants, but let me say that it is patently false.

As an experiment, I decided to plant some marigolds around my tomato plants to see if they would repel pests. Two weeks after planting, clover mites started showing up on my plants, and the common denominator was that they were on leaves that were touching.....you guessed it.....a marigold flower. I inspected the flowers, and at least one on each plant had a colony of mites and eggs under the petals near the base of the flower.

Now it may be that they repel some pests, but the only bugs on my plants before the flowers made it into the mix were fungus gnats. So I'd rather just have the fungus gnats than both.

Many of you probably know this already and can sit back and chuckle at my noob enthusiasm, but for those of you thinking about planting marigolds to repel pests; don't waste your time.

Happy gardening,

Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phildeez(9b)

Clover mites are probably the most harmless mite, I am not sure you should even worry about them. Two separate nurseries told me that clover mites will eat spider mite eggs, and something has been! Clover mites were all over my garden during late spring and I did not notice any damage to the plants, they were mostly on the tops of leaves scurrying around or on the terracotta pots. They are very fast moving and I have not noticed them eating plants yet.

As for the marigolds, I did the same experiment this spring and planted marigolds throughout my garden. At this point they are hosting more of the harmful insects than anything else. I only keep them to attract pollinating insects and give the white flies something to eat besides my tomatoes.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:42AM
LB_Gardener

Good to know Phildeez. Thanks for the info.

I do love the way that the marigolds look in the garden. They really add a lot to the aesthetics. I guess I'm kind of persnickity about bugs on my plants, but I've never had to deal with mites yet and I must admit that it freaked me out.

More than anything, I just wanted to throw it out there that marigolds do not in fact repel pests. I guess I'm too paraniod now to leave them so close to my tomatoes, but I might re-plant them elsewhere for aesthetics.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 3:04AM
lelia(Northern Cal)

I love love love marigolds, and they do repel many pests, but they ATTRACT mites, not repel them. A strong spray of water now and then should keep them in check.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 10:11AM
busy_bee_7tn_grow

I beautified my garden one year by planting zinnias and marigolds next to the tomato patch- one year only!! I ended up having to pick a dozen horn worms off the tomatoes THREE times a day!
Never again!! Mercy!

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 3:08PM
bigdaddyj(Zone7)

Marigolds DO attract mites. Plenty of research on the net supporting this. My personal experience confirms it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Yeah - we have blossoms on our cherry tomatoes in Zone...
hudson___wy
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
Sponsored Products
Majestic Marigold Chevron Vase
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Yellow Lines Embroidered Flat Sheet - Twin/Twin XL
Crane and Canopy
Tiffany-style Marigold Inverted Pendant
Overstock.com
Sunflower & Marigold Crayon Pot Set
$7.99 | zulily
Oversized Mid Century Link Pillow in Marigold
Grandin Road