American Kestrel

selkieJune 6, 2007

Thought you might enjoy a picture of this American Kestrel I saw in my driveway the other day. It flew up to the top of the utility pole while being dive-bombed by a swarm of small birds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vonyon

I love kestrels. They are so beautiful aren't they.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 10:15PM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

love their spunk.
And I know it's an attempt to humanize, but sometimes they appear as if they were flying for the sheer joy of it.

The first animal I ever took to a rehabber was a kestrel. I can only imagine how terrified it must have been when I bent to scoop it up. My mother wouldn't have approved of me having it in the house, so I had to hide it in my room until my grandpa (who understood the situation)could get a hold of his neighbor, who was a certified rehabber, to ask when we could bring it. I kept it in a cat carrier with a cloth over it to darken it, but once the bird cried out in that loud shrill "KEEEE KEEEE KEEEEE!" and Mom came to the top of the stairs and called down to ask what that noise was she'd just heard. I told her it was the radio and she actually bought it, which is no surprise, considering the junk I listened to in high school. As a kid I was always running in and asking for a coffee can with a good tight lid or a jar or something, so by then she should have known better.
Anyway, the kestrel ended up making the rounds of classrooms and nature awareness programs because its wing was permanently damaged.

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 12:34AM
selkie

Wow, Dirtgirl, neat story. This was actually the first time I've ever seen one (suburban girl with camping wildlife for experience). I had to look it up to find out what it was! The neighbours must have thought I was cukoo, chasing around with the camera. You're so blessed.

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 8:08AM
dirtgirl(So. Illinois)

Yeah...neighbors. Good thing we don't have any or they would have reported me years ago to the Freak Police.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Sponsored Products
Classic Butterfly Chair-Sunny Gold Cotton - 4052-53
$68.99 | Hayneedle
American Imaginations Cabinets 28 in. W x 40 in. H Surface-Mount Medicine
Home Depot
KOHLER Bathroom Tresham Pedestal Combo Bathroom Sink with 4 in. Centers in Ice
Home Depot
Jennifer Taylor Fortune Comforter/Duvet Set - 2866-657
Hayneedle
American Drew Jessica McClintock Boutique 4 Piece Coffee Table Set
Beyond Stores