Question About Overwintering Tomatoes

minisamboraJune 7, 2012

Ok so here is the deal I have been gardening in Phoenix for 4 years and last year I decided I am going to try and make it so I have tomatoes year round, and basically I have it figured out for the last year so this fall will be my first time replanting for this method. Long story short here is my question if I plant tomato seeds in late fall and cover them in just a plastic cover without to keep them from freezing will that be enough to keep them healthy till it warms up. The reason I ask is I know things like corn can get stunted growth if they are exposed to cold so as long as I keep the tomatoes from freezing they should be ok for the spring correct? Anyways I would have liked to explain more but I would have two more pages to write. Anyways thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
b_kct

I tried overwintering peppers couple years ago, mediocre success but I'm not sure winter in Phoenix is close enough to winter in CT to compare results. GL :)

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:51PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Does it freeze in Phoenix ? .

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 1:02AM
behlgarden(9)

On Overwintering tomatoes and peppers, just use indeterminate tomato varities, they live for many years if taken care of. I overwintered 6 pepper and 8 tomato plants, the cherry tomatoes never stopped producing even in winter while other went dormant and woke up like crazy. I would not pull out the healthy tomatoe plants this season, but prune them sometime in mid Jan to early Feb to stimulate growth, also fertilize at that time.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
You people are a bad influence
I went and bought seeds for mortgage lifter, big beef...
carriehelene
Please Critique Selections for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™