A Toad! A Toad!

floreyJune 1, 2007

Wow! : ) Just checked on the bunch of houseplants, summering outside. Lifted a pot, and there it was!

It can be a hot area as it's paved, and part is quite sunny, for about three hours. To soften the heat to warmth, I left two trays of extra soil, one at the hot edge, and one tucked away. The saucers are out from under the pots, to prevent 'wet feet', and gather water. It was under the ribbon plant's pot, back by the mini jungle, so I set some support under that pot, for a toad cave.

Around the corner of the house is a more toad friendly area. I think I'll set a shallow pot out there, near where I saw one 5 years ago.

Oh, a little clatter, as hail came in the window [pea sized], what a day ! florey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

How lucky for you. The last toad I had in my yard was over 5 years ago. I keep hearing more reports of toad and frogs so what ever has been killing them either has become less letal or the few toads and frogs are more imune.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 8:43PM
florey

Thanks so much. It was really cool.
That would be great news. Sure hope that's what's going on. Heard they found something,... is it a virus?
There's a surprizing amount of wild life in CT. Around the state i've seen snakes, [copperhead babies?]&[a ribbonsnake], a rare turtle with orangey legs, 2 toads, a fox, too many deer, bats, opossums, a raccoon and there was a bear on the news in West Hartford last week!
Maybe its because, most backyards, large and small, have a few feet of wildstrip, across the rear edge of the lots.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 4:54AM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

wow I have LOTS of toads here in the woods of West Mi. Never thought everybody didnt have them. I am blessed!

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 10:34PM
terrene(5b MA)

What a coincidence, I almost started a toad thread too.. :)

Last week I walked out on my front sidewalk at night and what looked like a leaf suddenly hopped into the garden bed when I walked by! It was a big fat toad!

I was so excited because he is the first toad I've seen in the yard after living here almost 5 years. I even put a large plant saucer down on the ground last year and fill it with water so the toads would access to water. (The birds drink from it sometimes too.)

I think he might be living under the bulb and daylily foliage. Of course I had to run and grab the camera -

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 12:42AM
florey

What a handsome guy!
Isn't the the rarer kind?

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 4:30PM
betula

I too have a toad living in my backyard, under some concrete edgings that have been laid crossways so as to form a nice, cool and shady "toad house"

All of you who have toads do so because you are doing something right, and should congratulate yourselves

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 11:46AM
terrene(5b MA)

Florey, I don't know what kind of toad that is, it doesn't look like the American Toad which is in my field guide. Does anybody know?

Betula, what do you think attracts toads? I garden organically and have lots of "messy" areas, and then I put a couple plant saucers down on the ground near the gardens and filled them with water.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 8:43AM
betula

Terrene, I see a toad in my yard almost each year. I've noticed that they like cool, moist spots. Keeping a saucer filled with water at all times is a must. So is a "toad house" You can use a smallish clay pot turned upside down with a little "door" chipped out.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 9:28PM
florey

They like the nice messy, poisen ivy patch, that's one area that stays undisturbed, he he.

Here are some cool toad links, from google:

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/american_toad.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Western NY Herps [reptiles etc]

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
Sponsored Products
Magic Garden Set of Bookends
Classic Hostess
Campania International Toad House - S-406-AL
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Angus The Toad Garden Statue - 328
$44.99 | Hayneedle
K'NEX Super Mario 3 Pack Buildable Flying Squirrel Mario#44; Fire Toad#44; and M
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Toad Hollow Garden Statue - 566
$29.36 | Hayneedle
Garden Gnome Reading Book with Toad House - WAC264
$31.98 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™