keeping birds off railing???

dnj3(z7 TX)June 29, 2005

Hi-new to this forum hope someone can help. We have a two story deck area and we have some beautiful birds that sit on our rain gutters. They are very small and make beautiful music it echos down our chimney and you can hear it clear as day. But now they are sitting on the railing to our deck and leaving lots of droppings on the deck not to mention landing on the deck down below with our table/chairs and grill. Is there any way to keep them off the railing-it is wrought iron about 1 1/2 inches wide. I do not want to harm them just keep them off the railing and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vonyon

Some birds don't like monofilament line. I have seen it strung across decks at restaurants. It would be something to try and would not really be that visually obtrusive.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 3:36PM
dgower82(6 SE MI)

Wire a battery to the railing(jk). Honestly, I would do what von suggested. Or get something that is shiny like mylar strips that can blow in the wind to scare them off.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 1:20PM
Kristy_SC(coastal SC)

Sometimes windchimes will work. They may drive you nuts though :).

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 5:39PM
vonyon

Mylar does work, but I reserve that for protecting the nests of native birds. I'm so afraid to desensitize them to the mylar, it is the only thing that keeps them away from the bluebirds and tree swallow nests.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 6:48PM
rudysmallfry(z6)

What about putting a fake owl on the railing? They won't land there if they think they'll be eaten.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 11:26PM
bill13286(7 DFWTX)

Rubber snakes work well if you can tolerate them on the rail. They need to be moved a little every few days. I have effectively used them in fig trees to protect the figs. Stored them in a paper bag in the garden shed one year. Cleaning out the shed the next spring, I forgot what I had put in the bag. Dumped it in my lap to see what it was. Very exiting morning. BG

Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™