Berries birds don't eat

terryr(z5a IL)June 5, 2007

After reading the thread "will birds eat these berries", it made me wonder about what berry producing shrub or tree that birds don't like. I of course want berries that birds will eat, so I'm wondering what berries the birds don't eat.

Anybody?

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggwrn(7NC)

I have several nandina bushes that were here when we bought the house. The birds never touch the berries, but they still sprout up every where.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 10:02PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Terry,

This post isn't about berries the birds won't eat at all, but I know I read somewhere that it's good to have berries which are edible to the birds, but not their favorites, so there's something for them in the winter if needed. I've heard Aronia (chokeberry) mentioned as a plant like this.

Lori

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 8:11AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

I think it does depend on ones yard. I know I heard that birds will not eat Aronia unless there is nothing else but around here the birds scarf up the black Aronia berries as soon as they get ripe. And its not as if there aren't lots of other fruiting shrubs for them to pick from. Now the red Aronia is never eaten except in winter as a last resort.

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 10:05PM
terryr(z5a IL)

I believe it's the red Aronia I have (which I also think the Latin name has been changed). I bought it because I read that they eat the red one and not the black. Mine has yet to bloom, just bought this spring at a native sale with not much to it, so I can't comment on the fragrance. But I went to another native sale that had the black ones and they smelled heavenly. And of course I went on a day that was for pick-up only. Since it was about a 2 hour drive, no way was I going back the next to buy myself one!

I guess I should of worded my initial post differently and added in what berries do you find that your birds don't eat, but you have knowledge that they eat them somewhere else or something to that effect...because as Rita pointed out, there are berries that maybe the birds in my back yard won't eat, but they eat them in somebody else's.

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
Anyone an Ecologists? Predation (Red Fox)
We have Red fox that seems to not have any predator's....
ladyrose65
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Sponsored Products
Blackened Berry Velvetloft Plush Bed Blanket
$24.99 | zulily
Classic Pre-lit Door Christmas Swag Christmas Decor
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
AndTradition | Blown Pendant Light
$650.00 | YLighting
Craftware Round Ceramic Strawberry Jar with 6 Pockets - PM299-60
$29.98 | Hayneedle
Berry & Thread Ruby Cereal Bowl - RUBY
$34.00 | Horchow