Please help ID this weed

nat4b(4)July 23, 2012

I would like to know my enemies :)

Already know oxalis, dandelions, nutsedge, spotted something, creeping charlie, wild violets and something looking like wild strawberries and various maple seedlings. Still a lot I 'grow' and don't know.

First 'offender' - this vine. It mostly grows in the fence, somewhat easy to pull but often the roots go on and on. It has little purple flowers with yellow centers, and it has a smell when you handle it. I tried to google with several word combinations - weedy vine with purple flowers etc, but came up with nothing. Looked thru posts here and people know so many weeds (plants)!

Anyway, here are the pics

Weed in May

Weed in July with flowers

One more

If a close-up is needed I'll take another pic

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Solanum, probably S. dulcamara

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 9:47AM
nat4b(4)

Thanks a lot, Purpleinopp! I googled it and there are a lot of them, wow. Some leaves don't look like mine, but probably most of those are not weeds from warmer zones. I was surprised it's related to potato.
Anyway, wiki says that S. dulcamara (bittersweet nightshade) is an invasive weed (yes) and that it's poisonois! I noticed several times that after weeding my skin itches, probably because of this.
My next weed looks kinda like that, maybe they are related, I'll post a pic.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 2:48PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

You're welcome, and oh yeah, you're right. I forgot the lovely rash it used to give me, luckily I haven't had to deal with this one for a long time. Not as bad as poison ivy, more like juniper burn, at least it was for me. Really is a pretty weed though I prefer to see it in pictures or someone else's yard.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:57PM
nat4b(4)

I'd prefer to see it in pictures too :)) So it does give you a rash, doesn't it. I'll try to be careful next time. Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™