Thorny vine ID?

geebeescJuly 25, 2005

I have this "demon" growning wildly in a brush area & it's wicked. It grows straight up out of the ground up to 4-5 ft without branching off, has thorns, has tubor root, no flowers, & spreads like crazy. I'm sure Roundup will get it, but I want to know what it is! I had it in South Georgia & now have it here in VA. It grows in brush where there's no activity on my part!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You have one of the many species of Smilax. And I wouldn't be so sure about RoundUp......;-)

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 8:51AM
kesca(z7 VA)

I have one of those.

And I have a lot of Ivy growing around the house, too.

Yesterday, I was pulling the ivy that was growing from under thick pile of leaves/mulch and at some point down along the vine, a couple of yards past the last leaf, thorns started to appear.

Is it possible that the thorns are stunted leaf growth because of lack of exposure to sun?

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 4:24PM
geebeesc

I did some research & did find Smilax & agree that I do have Smilax, but don't feel this plant that I showed above is the same--may be similar. In 15 years, the one I have in addition, do not have flowers, berries, woody vines, and they grow straight up with little branching off. The thorny stem gets up to about 3/4 inch thick quickly, but stay green. Mean creature!

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 6:34AM
More Discussions
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Clover/weed??
I have these growing in an area where we put out wildflower...
jscaldwell
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™