In general, how long before I see the 'FRUITS' of my labor?

too_many_pets(LI Z7)June 22, 2005

This is the third year that I'm adding plantings that will hopefully attract more birds and wildlife to my property. 2 summers ago I planted a Serviceberry-Amelanchier "Brilliantissima" I believe. It does flower, but no fuit yet. Last summer I planted a few Viburnum and Roundleaf Dogwood. I also planted a Black Cherry tree, and 2 tiny Red Mulberry seedlings. I just put an American Hazelnut in the ground. Will I be able to see birds feasting anytime soon, in your experience. THANKS!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vonyon

TMP: I have serviceberries this year on plants that I put in last year. One is a running serviceberry and it is loaded with berries. I have other viburnums that had a few berries last year and they were planted the year before. I think they were fairly large plants to begin with. On all the newer plants that started much smaller, I'm seeing some flowering and a few berries the second year around. I don't have much experience beyond that. Someone mentioned 7 years to a nice border.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 9:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elaine_NJ6

Species differ. Prunus species (chokecherries, black cherries) fruit relatively soon, viburnums relatively late, dogwoods somewhere in between. Pretty much everything blooms within three or four years; most plants fruit very sparsely if at all the first year they bloom but heavier thereafter. It also depends, of course, on the amount of sun, the weather, etc. I started with vary small bareroot plants, and I found that it was 5 years to something that looked like a mature thicket, with lots of fruit.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
Any rules for placing bird houses?
Hi, I have a new birdhouse and want to place it. It...
AdamM321
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Water Wiggler?
I'm setting up a garden in my small urban backyard....
hgalindo
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
Sponsored Products
Single Bowl Undermount TruGranite Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Herman Miller | Setu® Work Stool, Graphite Column
YLiving.com
Safavieh Area Rug: Leather Shag Black 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Gray Granite Stone Vessel Sink 24"x16" - TORRENCE
Living'ROC
Beat Floor Lamp by Tom Dixon
$1,450.00 | Lumens