In general, how long before I see the 'FRUITS' of my labor?

too_many_pets(LI Z7)June 22, 2005

This is the third year that I'm adding plantings that will hopefully attract more birds and wildlife to my property. 2 summers ago I planted a Serviceberry-Amelanchier "Brilliantissima" I believe. It does flower, but no fuit yet. Last summer I planted a few Viburnum and Roundleaf Dogwood. I also planted a Black Cherry tree, and 2 tiny Red Mulberry seedlings. I just put an American Hazelnut in the ground. Will I be able to see birds feasting anytime soon, in your experience. THANKS!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vonyon

TMP: I have serviceberries this year on plants that I put in last year. One is a running serviceberry and it is loaded with berries. I have other viburnums that had a few berries last year and they were planted the year before. I think they were fairly large plants to begin with. On all the newer plants that started much smaller, I'm seeing some flowering and a few berries the second year around. I don't have much experience beyond that. Someone mentioned 7 years to a nice border.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 9:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elaine_NJ6

Species differ. Prunus species (chokecherries, black cherries) fruit relatively soon, viburnums relatively late, dogwoods somewhere in between. Pretty much everything blooms within three or four years; most plants fruit very sparsely if at all the first year they bloom but heavier thereafter. It also depends, of course, on the amount of sun, the weather, etc. I started with vary small bareroot plants, and I found that it was 5 years to something that looked like a mature thicket, with lots of fruit.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Anyone an Ecologists? Predation (Red Fox)
We have Red fox that seems to not have any predator's....
ladyrose65
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™