Birds??

skeeterbait1(z8 TX)June 7, 2005

Hi all, I am new to posting on this board (but not new to reading it) and I have a problem. I have birds that decided to nest in my potted lantana. I not sure what kind of birds they are, but one is small and looks similar to a sparrow and the other is larger with a yellow color on the underside. I don't want to scare them away, but I need to water occasionally. I hope this is the right place to post this questions and hopefully someone has an answer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillmcm(z6 PA)

Try googling either carolina wrens or house finches (which sometimes are yellowish instead of red). It should be OK to water occasionally if you water on the side away from the nest, and especially if you have a watering can with a long neck. Be careful not to water too much at one time so that water gets into the nest. The birds will more easily become used to the routine if you try to water at the same time each time. Other than that, leaving them alone is the best bet - most small birds hatch and fledge their young within a matter of weeks.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skeeterbait1(z8 TX)

Thanks for the information. I checked this morning and both of them must be out for breakfast so I was able to water. There isn't a complete nest yet, but it looks like they are working on one. Thankfully lantana is fairly drought tolerant.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Water Wiggler?
I'm setting up a garden in my small urban backyard....
hgalindo
What to do with a territorial Mocking bird?!
I have a Mocking bird who chases every bird that comes...
armyyife
Mouse, Vole or Shrew in Garage
Hi, I caught a couple of deer mouse a couple weeks...
GardenFan9595
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
lizard jumped in my window running from hawk help
A huge 10 inch lizard jumped in my window to escape...
Wild Haired Mavens
Sponsored Products
Artificial Turf Roll Christmas Decor
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Henri Studio Birch-Look Cast Stone Bird Bath.
Lamps Plus
Raw Turquoise 9-Inch Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Mount with Roadrunner Center Cutout D
$133.20 | Bellacor
Bird Bath Rug - BLUE (27x55)
$420.00 | Horchow
Birds in the Sunset Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$89.99 | zulily
Birds On The Tree Antique Metal Base Tiffany Home Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Roman Pillar Copper Pedestal Birdbath
Signature Hardware
Paris Plans Pillow Cover in Black
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™