Birds??

skeeterbait1(z8 TX)June 7, 2005

Hi all, I am new to posting on this board (but not new to reading it) and I have a problem. I have birds that decided to nest in my potted lantana. I not sure what kind of birds they are, but one is small and looks similar to a sparrow and the other is larger with a yellow color on the underside. I don't want to scare them away, but I need to water occasionally. I hope this is the right place to post this questions and hopefully someone has an answer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillmcm(z6 PA)

Try googling either carolina wrens or house finches (which sometimes are yellowish instead of red). It should be OK to water occasionally if you water on the side away from the nest, and especially if you have a watering can with a long neck. Be careful not to water too much at one time so that water gets into the nest. The birds will more easily become used to the routine if you try to water at the same time each time. Other than that, leaving them alone is the best bet - most small birds hatch and fledge their young within a matter of weeks.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skeeterbait1(z8 TX)

Thanks for the information. I checked this morning and both of them must be out for breakfast so I was able to water. There isn't a complete nest yet, but it looks like they are working on one. Thankfully lantana is fairly drought tolerant.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
Squirrels are stealing my river rock
Over the past two weeks I have observed the squirrels...
Brian.evans
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™