Thousands of weeds

potroastmanJuly 18, 2009

I have thousands of these all over my yard and i'm trying to figure out how to remove them, other than picking them one by one by hand. i have oak trees and had suspected they were saplings, but i'm starting to think they are not!

I am in Minnesota.

thanks.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
potroastman

i figured out what they are, elm seedlings from a nearby large elm tree.

So, how do i get rid of them? prefer something environmentally friendly and yet not hands-and-knees manual removal.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 5:53PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Mowing will probably take care of most of them. Trees want to be taller than 3"! They may remain and try for the rest of the season but will not live if constantly mowed. Any product that kills dandelions should also take care of them.
hortster

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 8:06PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Proper mowing will eliminate any tree seedlings that do start to grow. Once the leaves are removed, from most tree seedlings, they can no longer supply needed nutrients to the roots so they die.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 7:54AM
potroastman

Mowing is not really working for me..! I've had these for two seasons now, and I mow usually twice/week. These dont rally get very high, there are 2 or 3 sets of leaves below the height of the grass.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 10:44AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

In some 50 years of gardening I have not seen an Oak, Maple, Elm (American or Chinese) seedling that could not be controlled just be mowing. It may take a while, but once the leaves are cut off the root will die and the seedling will be no more.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 8:12AM
gailey

Ah one of the joys of living with mature trees!

I would learn to embrace these little sapplings if I were you because as long as there is an elm tree (or mountain ash, maple, or most other mature trees), you are going to get sapplings. You will have to continually pour herbicide on your lawn to control them and the lawn will give up the ghost first from the toxicity.

You might want to look into applying a pre-emergent herbicide on your lawn that will prevent the seeds from germinating. Corn gluten is out there, possibly others. I'm not familiar with US brands, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

I'm guessing if you don't want to pull them (pulling is most effective when sapplings have 3 sets of leaves or more), you are not going to want to sweep your lawn either. Lawn purists for generations have used Besom Brooms to sweep debris off their lawns prior to mowing (no, I'm not kidding!)

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Weed Identification (Florida)
Good afternoon, I have a problem with a weed (type...
BoogieMan2718
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™