succession of berries list

cydonia33(7a)July 17, 2006

I am a novice wildlife gardener in the city of Philadelphia (I am about 10 minutes from downtown, and have lived here almost 3 years). I have many shrubs with berries (although many of them have not flowered yet)... I would like to have a year-round habitat for birds... Can a few of you list the successsion of "berrying" times for various shrubs from spring through winter so that maybe I can fill in the gaps of what I have planted thus far? Besides, I think it would be useful for other newbies striving towards a year-round bird paradise to get a month-to-month berrying chronology... ! Thanks.

Jenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrsvic(z6 OH)

Well, here's an attempt, from memory:

Serviceberry
Red-berried elder
Mulberries
Raspberries
American elderberry
Wild Black cherry
Crabapples
Mountain ash
Viburnum
Winterberry
Pyracantha
Juniper

Here in zone 6, i'd say the berry season starts in June, and lasts til February the following year, although highbush cranberries, junipers, etc may have berries til well in the spring. Variety is good - some crabapples might ripen early fall, others may last the whole winter. Same for viburnums.

I tried to list a link for a book, where the author (Andre Dion) charted the flowering and ripening times for fruiting shrubs/trees. That would be an interesting project to take notes on, when fruits are available, which birds consume what, etc. I've learned alot from watching birds and noticing what plants attract them, as they probably don't read books.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Garden of Birds

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
shrews in my house
Hi everyone! I'm new to the gardenweb. I have a question...
NJdragonfly
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
first post - bird food that sparrows dont eat?
Hi, This is my 1st post here! Can you guys recommend...
kris2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™