Bullfrog question: remove them??

maineflowergirl(z4 Maine)July 1, 2005

I read that bullfrogs will kill other frogs and I am wondering if we should try to remove the couple that arrived at our large frog pond for the first time this year. I definitely see the male bullfrog and I THINK I see the female there too, though she looks a lot like a green frog. I have read about how to tell the difference though.

It will be too late to prevent them from laying the eggs, but if they are capable of wiping out the other frog species, I wouldn't want them there, although I know this is nature and nature does as it wishes. But bullfrogs ARE native to Maine, so maybe they will only kill some of the other frogs and all will be well. I have read on the net about places out west where non-native bullfrogs HAVE wiped out resident frogs in areas.

The other frogs that use our pond are wood frogs, peepers, green frogs, American toads and gray tree frogs. The wood frogs only use it for a few days early in the spring and then just head out to the woods. I see a few around the edge of the yard now and again.

Joanie D.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
envirocop

They are unlikely to really wipe out the other frogs. If you do notice dwindling #s you can jump into the food web too and eat a bullfrog. MMmm, frog legs...

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 7:50AM
maineflowergirl(z4 Maine)

Thanks, envirocop. There is a goodly amount of meat on those big bullfrog legs, too! But I think I will pass. We have some very active owls around here and I am thinking they may stop by the pond for a bite to eat and land on this big dude.

I love listening to the frogs at night, particarly the peepers and gray tree frogs. It's LOUD but also soothing somehow. The gray tree frogs sound "snore-y" to me. That bullfrog...wow, that's loud, like a fog horn. We rented a camp on a pond once with a large bullfrog and I actually couldn't sleep because of him. But the one we have isn't as vocal, at least in terms of frequency.

I also found the Reptiles & Amphibians Forum and posted about the bullfrogs there too.

Joanie D.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 8:00AM
bulldinkie(pa)

They say they also eat your fish.My sisternlaw had her pond outside her bay window.she looked out one day a bullfrog had a pretty big sized koi in its mouth.I have a couple different kinds living in mine.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 8:58AM
jillmcm(z6 PA)

Given that bullfrogs are native to your area, I'd leave them, or you risk disrupting your local ecology more than the frogs ever would. My grandfather always had them in his pond and there was never any lack of other frogs. I think they're really only a problem when they're introduced into areas where the native frogs are not accustomed to them and are more easily preyed upon.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 10:33AM
dgower82(6 SE MI)

I know herons will eat them, or you could. That's why they were introduced out west. Go froglegs

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 1:16PM
maineflowergirl(z4 Maine)

Thanks, everyone. I think I will just relax and see what all develops at the pond. That's been pretty much the way I have been from the beginning of the pond, though I have planted things around the pond.

Joanie D.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Anyone an Ecologists? Predation (Red Fox)
We have Red fox that seems to not have any predator's....
ladyrose65
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Neighbours cat just killed my last chipmunk :(
I am so very sad right now. We started with 5 chipmunks...
datura222
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™