ID a vine please

bluebirdbabe(z5 MI)July 19, 2005

This vine has all the characteristics of a raspberry bush except it is a vine. It has thorns and the berries are in a little round flat clump. The berries are about 1/8" and turn black. The birds must have pooped a seed behind some bushes in my garden. Also (I told you I was new to gardening) I have a huge raspberry type vine growing in the other side of my garden. It is alot bigger than the one pictured and no berries. Do raspberries vine out? This vine has runners 5'.I have a bunch of wild raspberry bushes in my back yard and they do not vine out like these bushes. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

Is that a bittersweet? Sarah

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 1:31PM
bluebirdbabe(z5 MI)

Sarah, I have no idea what it is. I don't think it is bittersweet because it has thorns all along the stem. The berries will turn black as there is another cluster back further on the vine that have turned black. I have searched and searched and I can't find anything like it. Like I said it looks just like a raspberry bush except the berries are really different. I hope someone knows what it is. If the birds like it, I will move it from behind my other bushes. It is a very pretty vine.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 2:15PM
apcohrs(z5 IL)

I have seen Rubus allegheniensis (common black raspberry) canes that were 15' long. I think that's what you have.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 5:16PM
roseunhip(z5b QC)

I think so too.
I have seen it in the wild pretty often around Montreal, in abandoned farmlands, etc.
And some blackberries species or varieties can be trained to grow more or less like a vine.

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Baby Mallards
I am in desperate need of some help. We just hatched...
michelewelker
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™