Kelloggs Breakfast ?

MarshallkeyJune 24, 2013

I started tomato seeds for the first this year . I'm think I might have messed up somehow when replanting the little seedlings into there bigger cups. I had about 15 different kinds of tomatoes .
I've never grown Kelloggs Breakfast so am not familiar with the plants . The plants in the garden are huge and beautiful, 5 feet tall already with 1 in. diameter stems. Yet something doesn't seem right. The blooms are in clusters of anywhere from 5 to 8 blooms . I cant imagine big tomatoes having blooms that close . I dont know how the plant would hold all that weight or how they would get that big clustered together like that .
Has anyone grown them and is it possible that they do grow in clusters like that ?
They look like cherry tomatoes clusters although I didnt start any cherry tomatoes.
I guess theres always the chance that the place I got my seeds from messed up on there seed packing also .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marshallkey

Here is a pic of the blooms .

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:00AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Just because there is a bunch of flowers, it doesn't mean that they will all be tomatoes. My beefsteak flowers bloom in bunches, but might only set 2-4 together. And yes, a cluster of 3 or 4 large tomatoes can get heavy and might need a little extra support.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:06AM
Marshallkey

Thx for the info edweather ! If in someway it is a Kelloggs Breakfast and all flowers do all make tomatoes would it possiblbly be a good idea to prune some of the blooms or some of the small tomatoes I've read that some growers do this on some plants to get bigger tomatoes. I'm not trying to win a giant tomato contest. I'm just hoping to get the natural production the plant will give.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:27AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

If it is KB and you want natural production, then don't remove any blossoms at all.

I do keep such data and KB usually produces 2-3 large fruits/cluster with each fruit being a pound or more.

Carolyn.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 2:02AM
tormato

I've had a cluster of 5 weigh about seven pounds. I strung up some extra support.

Gary

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 1:53PM
flowersnhens(Maine 4)

How is the flavor on this one ? I am considering growing it next year.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 9:12PM
tormato

Some consider Kellogg's Breakfast to simply be the best.

In my garden, it is perhaps the one tomato variety with the most variability in flavor. It can be anywhere from good, to very good, to excellent, all from the same plant, with only about half a week between pickings.

Gary

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
How many Tomato Plants can I put in this planter?
I just bought a 2x4 (10 inches deep) Ceder raised planter. How...
dragon49
My Druzba
must think it's halloween as it's short,stocky and...
jwr6404
Red Robin, Snow Fairy, Tiny Tim in indoor hydroponics
I'm trying these three varieties primarily because...
delaware
Sponsored Products
Contardi | Audrey Table Lamp
YLighting
Straight Coffee Cup & Saucer Set
$34.99 | zulily
Upton Home Marlee Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Vetraio Chandelier by Uttermost
$327.80 | Lumens
Life is Grand Cachepot Set of 6
The City Farm
Modern Light Pendant in Black
$269.99 | Dot & Bo
Downtown Drum Pendant by Quoizel
$339.99 | Lumens
Bleuet table runner
Origin Crafts
People viewed this after searching for: