Duck Pond

RescueJuly 7, 2013

My husband and I rescued some ducks. They were first in a pool and we have dug a pond for them. For a few weeks the ducks loved the pond. Over the 4th, our grand children were here and had gotten into the pond. Now the ducks will have nothing to do with the pond. My husband and I have put the ducks in the pond just for them to get back out. The pond is 50'X25, and 4' deep with a filter. No problems up till the kids had gotten in. What do we do to get the ducks back into the pond?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
surya55_gw

Is the filter/pump working efficiently? If the water's stagnant they may not be tempted to step in... I hope an expert tells you what the problem might be.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:36PM
Rescue

Filter is working fine. we clean it out every other day and have a water fall into the pond. There is not anything that will bite the ducks in the pond either. We have some gold fish we put in yesterday just to find out and they seem to be doing great.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 7:04PM
surya55_gw

Hmm- I don't know what to say. Have you tried another forum? I thought for sure you'd get more responses by now. Browse the list of forums and may be there's another that might trigger more responses. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:45AM
tropicbreezent

What sort of ducks are they? Do you have photos.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:31AM
surya55_gw

I was thinking- how about sitting at the edge of the pond and try feeding them, while slowly extending your hand over the water with food and very slowly coaxing them back in that way? They may not even be aware since it will be a gradual process and, if by some miracle you get them back in, it'll be a tough call for the water- ducks or grandkids...

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 7:43PM
Rescue

We have 6 white domestic ducks and one mallard that I rescued from work. I tried putting floating food in the pond, we put feeder comets in the pond that are not even half an inch long.We have a large kennel that is enclosed and over hangs the pond by a foot so they have a safe place to get away from raccoons or anything else that may want to hurt them. We put their food in the kennel they would not go in to eat. We put them in the kennel so the only way out was through the pond, no dice, they stayed there 2 days and couldn't get through the pond fast enough. It was kinda funny to watch but I still would like them to enjoy the pond again. This is frustrating.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:38PM
Rescue

This picture shows the kennel that overhangs the pond. As you can see, the ducks loved it before the kids got in.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:42PM
surya55_gw

What beautiful ducks. I do hope they get over their fright, get bored and eventually go back in- especially on a really hot day. How can they resist?

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Good squirrel proof feeder..
Hello, I'm looking to replace a Yankee Flipper Squirrel...
shw104
A very strange plant
The plant you're looking at is a Catawhatisthis, very...
plantnut65
Squirrel proof tube bird feeder
Need a recommendation for a good Squirrel-proof tube...
shw104
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™