First Hummingbird feeder for kids garden

tumblingtomatoesJuly 23, 2010

Hi all, I recently posted about what flowers to plant & am also going to add a hummingbrid feeder to a tree in the yard near the flowers but I see soo many types I need some suggestions.

I wound up getting a plastic type from walmart but was wondering what the best types are & also not to spend too much money in the beginning.

thanks for the suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't know that there is a 'best' feeder. I've always used a smallish glass and plastic model made by Perky Pet. It hold about 8 ounces, I think, and has 4 feeding stations (shaped like flowers). All of the pieces come apart easily for convenient cleaning and soaking. I choose the model with the little perches at each port.

I prefer the smaller glass feeders because I think that the glass is easier to keep clean and the smaller size insures that the sugar water gets changed often. These feeders are very long lasting and inexpensive. You've probably seen them at Wal-Mart or other similar location.

Another purchase you might want to think about is an ant guard. Ants are an on going issue with me. Perhaps some others have some suggestions about that.

Make your own sugar water by bringing one part sugar to four parts water to a boil, then cooling.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 6:30AM
maifleur01

two things. Never use honey to make up the sugar water solutions and don't worry about any gnats swarming at the feeder. Hummingbirds use the gnats as a protein source.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 8:19PM
tumblingtomatoes

Thanks for the info & tip not to use honey! I have a simple plastic feeder by First Nature from walmart-filled it last night w/ the sugar water recipe & hung it up. Now we wait & see if any come visit. :)

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 11:17AM
buckstarchaser(5 MI)

Tanglefoot may help block ants from your feeder if it is suspended by something that only has one direction of access. It's basically a thick grease that you smear on, say, a pole that your feeder is suspended from. The ants can't cross the tanglefoot because they get bogged down in it.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
What kind of animal scat is this?
Does anyone know what kind of animal this is from?...
vmcneil
Goldfinches and plants
Okay, after a few years of waiting impatiently, the...
tracey_nj6
new garden
I just moved in to a house with lots of garden space...
kageri
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Sponsored Products
Black Fancy Script Personalized Decal
$11.99 | zulily
Milwaukee Brewers 'Big Boy' Chair
$34.99 | zulily
Canova Ivory Blackout Window Valance
$11.95 | Bellacor
Abbyson Living Hampton Outdoor Multi Dark Brown Wicker 7-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Balloon Ivory 2 ft. x 3 ft.
$58.97 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Chevron Kids Play Multi 3
Home Depot
Family Blocks
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Sams International Rugs Napa Shelbourne
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™