relative of mint? 3 different smells from one plant

tenuviel(MD)July 31, 2005

I hope someone can help me identify this herbaceous weed, it is growing in a 5 gallon pot in rich soil with my majesty palm. Height approx. 13 inches. The leaves are very slightly velvety, thin, light, a cordate, accute shape, and serrated. the mature leaves are about 2 inces wide at the base, and 3 inches long. It is taller than it is bushy. the stems and leaves are light green throughout, except for the 2 bottom most stems, which are lightly tinged with pink. the stems are about 1/4" in diameter. The first smell of the plant is a light mint, chlorphyll scent mixed with garlic. upon crushing the leaves, it has a musky, sharp, somewhat unpleasant smell, and a third smell reveals a very sweet, spearmint like smell. There are no flowers at this time. It doesn't resemble any of the mints i have been able to find pictures for. Is ther any weed that resembles mint. It seems to like growing in my plant pots. On the 4th story of my balcony.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kesca(z7 VA)

It kind of sounds like the catnip I recently attempted to remove from my garden. Until then I never realized that it has a slight minty odor and that when broken smells something like marigolds, which do not smell all that good.

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 8:02PM
tenuviel(MD)

I know it's not catnip, I grow it, and it actually smells better crushed, the third time anyway.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 7:07PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Does it have a square stem like most plants in the mint family (Lamiaceae)? There are lots of plants that have fragrant leaves, by the way.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Poor Man's Weed Barrier
I need to block weeds and grass from popping up from...
jeff_leites
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Yet another ID request
I am in Vancouver BC. This weed is very common and...
newcoyote
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™