Nigella (love in a mist)

jardineratxMay 1, 2012

I have had success with various "wildflowers" in my garden beds: bluebonnets, coreopsis, blue flax, blanketflower and ratibida (mexican hat), but now I am looking to add love-in-a-mist to my little collection. How easy is it to grow from seed? How long does it bloom? How much sun does it require for good bloom? Is it perennial or annual? Where can I get seed and when do I sow the seed?

thanks

Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is an annual. Mine is blooming now. It is a late spring bloom. I do not water my garden and some years it does not come up, but this year I have three types of Nigella in bloom. It blooms at the same time as larkspur and can be planted at the same time as larkspur in late November and December. It wants some winter moisture to get it to Germinate. It got that this year here west of Austin. It grows in part sun/ part shade on a loose tree enriched soil over limestone . I think it would like a richer slightly more moist environment than what I give it. It is easy to grow and reseeds, or you can collect and replant.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:37PM
jardineratx

Thank you so much for your information! I saw some blooming in a garden in Denton and I really liked them. This particular bed had chocolate daisy (berlandiera lyrata) blooming alongside the Nigella. The blue and yellow flowers looked really pretty together. I got seeds of the berlandiera, but will look for Nigella seeds later this summer for fall sowing.
Thanks again!
Molly

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:59PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The bloom is not that long. Maybe if one pulls the pods off of them, one can prolong it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™