Purslane in the garden.

gandle(4 NE)July 1, 2005

If everything sprouted and grew as well as purslane there wouldn't be room on this planet for anything else. Think you could pull it, hang it on the clothes line and the shadow would root. You hoe it off, let it lay and in 2 days its as good as ever.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Clare(z6 MO)

Gandle, look up recipes for it. I've got a bowl of it sitting next to the stove that I will cook in with some turnip greens later today. A recipe for it cooked into a rice pilaf is pretty good, too. Some people like it raw, but I do not.

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 2:15PM
Rosa(4ish CO Rockie)

Yes, yummy stuff steamed or sauteed with other greens and onions. It is really easy to pull after a rain. Some do like it raw but I do not either. And *if* I remember right it also contains a bit oxalic acid, like spinich.

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 4:06PM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

Maybe mine is just yummier, but I like it raw. I've pickled it too and its tasty that way. I've even gone so far as to order purslane seed (of a cultivated French variety) and plant it on purpose because I ate so much that it I didn't get any more volunteers.

~Chills

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 9:23PM
SunshineAnnieDeb(5)

" I ate so much that it I didn't get any more volunteers.
~Chills"
Oh my gosh! Will you please come and take mine?!! This is the 9th summer for my gardens in this yard, and all of a sudden this stuff is coming up everywhere!! HELP!! I want it gone!How do I kill it for good?

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 12:38AM
sazji(8bNW Turkey)

Also try it raw, mixed with yogurt....

If you want to get rid of it, just make sure you pull it out before it flowers and sets seed. If it's already gotten big and spreading, chances are it's already produced seed. Diligence.

Um..you can also fry an onion in olive oil, grate a couple tomatoes into it, then add the purslane and a little water, salt and pepper to taste....:) :)

bob

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
weed or no
i have this growing in the middle of strawberry patch,...
hxluo
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™