Is this a weed or not?

Zap-Man(6)July 2, 2013

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but can anyone identify this small leaved plant? There are several in the garden. My gardening partner did do some misc. seeding in this raised bed, (carrots, garlic, etc) along with the tomatoes etc, but we don't know if this is something we planted (and forgot to mark) or a weed......

Thanks for any help

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by Zap-Man on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 14:21

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zap-Man(6)

Don't know why the picture won't post, I had to post a link. The link on the forum that explains the rules for picture uploading doesn't work for me.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 2:22PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Try using the HTML code for sharing. Would Nandina be a possibility that far north?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:49PM

Wisteria?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:50PM
Zap-Man(6)

If WE intentionally planted it in this garden (it's not ours) from seed, it would have to be either a vegetable or an herb. All the companion planting of flowers that we did here were from starts.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:59PM

In homage to Steve Martin, "Well, excuuuuuuse me!" for trying to help.

I'm sure you're right. Sounds like a lovely, magical place where no birds or squirrels or even the blowing wind deposit any unwanted seeds anywhere. That would rule out Ailanthus altissima also.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:44AM
Zap-Man(6)

@ Purpleinopp, I certainly did not mean to sound ungrateful for your help. Sometimes "tone" doesn't always come across as one intends in forums! I was only trying to indicated that we hadn't intentionally planted anything other than herbs & vegetables from seed. Your comment about birds & squirrels is well taken.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:04AM

You're so right, thanks. I'll picture a smiley face for you and make sure I'm talking to that. I'm not much of a veggie or herb person but it doesn't look like any kind of either that I've grown. There's also the way it's butt-up against another kind of plant, you probably didn't mix different seeds in any spot, hence the thought process that went immediately to similar-looking known pop-ups.

By comparing the suggestions to images out there, and looking around to see which if any are around your area (although you may or may not find a mama plant nearby, seeds can travel amazing distances, so this is not necessarily enough to rule anything out that's hardy and prevalent within a wide nearby area so large that you certainly can't investigate every plant) you may decide it's one of these, or not.

Other people may pop in with other suggestions as well, they usually do. Probably a lot of people on vacation this week but hope you don't end up stuck with just me.

Besides curiosity, there's not much reason to leave whatever-it-is where it is. I might take another pic if it looks at all different yet, then send it to the compost so it doesn't compete in any way with that vine. A pic from the side, showing how it emerges from the soil might help people recognize it. Whatever it is, it's kinda cute, but that's how a lot of should-have-pulled's escape immediate eradication. Puppy/kitty syndrome.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:58AM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Hey, purple, my first reaction was also that it is a tree-of-heaven seedling...think you may have hit it there. Zap, when you crush a leaflet does it stink?

hortster

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 5:29PM
Zap-Man(6)

@ horster, I don't know. As I said, it's not my garden, so it's not in my backyard where I can check. What are you thinking?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:37PM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Ailanthus altissima or tree-of-heaven has a rather disagreeable odor (to most folks) when its foliage or stems are crushed. The seedling in the pic looks like it.

Not a plant that I would have in my yard.

hortster

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Weeding raised beds
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
ID Invasive Vine Weed
Does anyone know the name of this weed? It's a vine...
debg
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™