Buttermilk Racer

htown(North Houston)July 22, 2005

I saw my first Buttermilk Racer of the year today while I was releasing a Black Swallowtail. Buttermilk racers are my favorite snake. It was a juvenile so actually all I know for certain that it was some sort of young racer, but buttermilks are the only type I have seen here. I am glad that I finally saw one, because I have been disappointed with my snake sightings this year in my yard and elsewhere. Last year was one of the best in a long time though, and there are couple snake encounters that I may never repeat again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
htown(North Houston)

I caught this buttermilk racer yesterday. I am wondering if he is one of the ones photographed last year because they both had similar spot on thier head. This is the one I caught yesterday. Whenever I released him he climbed up a big thickett of bamboo and then climbed on the top of the carport!

This is the one that I took pics of last year. Do you think it is the same one? I only saw one that was this big until yesterday, all the others were still juveniles.

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 6:35PM
jamez(kansas)

Wow thats a cool lookin racer. That second pic is a nice one. I always have trouble gettin a good pic of the adults. The racers in Kansas are greenish to brownish to greyish. Do they all have those spots in your area?

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 4:33AM
htown(North Houston)

Yes, the only type of racers that I have seen in my immediate area were Coluber constrictor anthicus(Buttermilk Racer). I have never caught any other type of racer though. Last year at Enchanted Rock I photographed and released a Central Texas Whipsnake. I did not even know what it was until I got back home. I thought it was some crazy type of coachwhip or racer. I had forgotten all about whipsnakes.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
The Midwest Strikes Back!
Today I have the extreme pleasure of watching about...
Leafhead
Wasp nest? rid of it? leave it alone?
Same one in the pictures but with different angles...
chueh
Need advice on hosting bees in our yard
Hi Folks We maintain a NWF-certified wildlife habitat...
ggopal
Favorite Shrub or Tree for attracting Wildlife and Why
What have you planted in your back yard that attracts...
Mike Larkin
Why aren't the birds going for the winter berries?
So, I have the native Viburnum trilobum and both native...
sujiwan_gw
Sponsored Products
Buttermilk & Burnished Oak Country Seven-Piece Dining Set
$999.99 | zulily
Bite-Size Biscuits
$89.00 | Horchow
Homelegance Nash 7-Piece Expandable Dining Table Set - Warm Oak - 5372-72[7PC]
Hayneedle
Buttermilk & Burnished Oak Country Dining Chair - Set of Two
$169.99 | zulily
Superior Serving Fork - Buttermilk - Ladies & Gentlemen
$35.00 | HORNE