Cuttings of Determinate Tomato Varities??

dbannie04(8 TX)June 29, 2011

I know this is probably going to sound like a really stuipd question, but I just have to ask! I want to take cuttings of some of my tomatoes to root for my fall garden-it will be much faster and easier than starting over with seeds. I know you take the cuttings from the growth tips etc. and I am fully confident I can be successful with my indeterminate varities. However, I have seen very little info on cuttings of determinate varities. I really like my Early Wonder plant and would like to do it again this fall and thought it would be a good choice since it has a shorter DTM, but it is a determinate variety.

So here's the question: can you expect rooted cuttings of determinate tomatoes to produce tomatoes? From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, the majority of the tomatoes on a determinate variety ripen in a short window of time and then the plant is finished/dies. This is what I observed last year on my determinate vines. So if you root a cutting from a determinate plant that is already producing ripe tomatoes, will it act like a clone of its parent and think it's already done its tomato thing and die. Or will it start over and bloom and produce? For some reason, I'm thinking it is not going to work for me and I need to start some seeds...any thoughts?

Please forgive me if I'm having a blonde moment here :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abayomi

Dig dirt says a few threads ago, forget it.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 4:28PM
dbannie04(8 TX)

Any explanation as to why?

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:45PM
mulio

dbannie

it can work if the timing and variety are right.

If the plant is still producing suckers and one catches them young enough, it may work. This is assuming the flower buds haven't formed in the suckers growing point and the lack of roots will be temporarily effecting hormone production/signalling involved in flower bud initiation.

However, if the plant's side shoots are far enough along and received the signals to terminate the growing points in flowers, then cuttings probably won't do much.

Semi-determinate plants are better candidates for cuttings but again it is a matter of when one takes a cutting off the plant.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 5:07PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

What mulio said.

Your plants are already producing ripe fruit? Then it is too late. So yes, you need to start some seeds.

As discussed in more detail in the other recent discussion abayomi mentioned above, the growing tips on determinate plants are terminal tips.

Dave

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™