Weeds in a creek

vdg1July 9, 2007

I have a creek that runs through my property and empties into a large river.

The problem is that the creek is being choked down to a trickle by weeds. One of the weeds looks like forget-me-nots and I am not sure what the other one is except that it is spreading everywhere.

Is there anything safe that I can use to get rid of these weeds and open up the creek again. I have tried hand pulling but the roots are very strong and it is a near impossible job.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathy8091

I'm having the same problem with our river. The weeds are just taking over. Someone please give us a solution.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 4:10PM
pearly_girl

I don't have a solution, sorry, but have you tried contacting your country, state, or county's ag center? You might want to start here:

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/

and here:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/internet/Agexten.html

Good luck! =)

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 9:27AM
wantoretire_did

I have gone in mine a couple times a year and pulled the weeds out by hand. There's a lot of grass that comes up easily; its just messy. Cattails are another story; very tough, but I'm leaving some since I learned what a benefit they are. There are lots of them on the other side, which is just an area let go and the birds love it.

We can't use any type of machine as there is rock all along the bottom and the banks.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 1:11PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

The forget me not type flowers are probably impatiens capensis. It likes to grow in creeks and is a desirable native flower. Great for hummingbirds. It does get "aggressive" in creek beds. But its not harmful.

I would leave them alone. The plants growing in the creek help stabilize the surrounding soil and prevent erosion. If the creeks needs more space for flow, it will knock those plants over, itself.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 12:13PM
maifleur01

On our local PBS show this weekend they talked about weeds in creeks. I know you are in Canada and the rules are different but destroying stream banks is apparently a state and federal offense.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 9:14PM
dbs_illinois_4(z4b Illinois)

Has it flowered yet? If so, is it perchance a pretty magenta-purple? If it's a grass, then it might be Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris arundinacea).

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Loosestrife

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Weed Indentification
It generates a ton of fluffy seed balls that blow with...
GaryDEvans
morning glory seedlings
A gardener in our park club planted morning glories...
Mary423
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™