termites-how to resolve with least harm to wildlife?

loris(Z6 NJ)July 24, 2005

DH was digging up a new planting that wasn't doing well to put in a shadier place, and came across an enormous number of termites about 4 feet from the foundation of our house which is wooden.

Don't see how we can just ignore this, but we also don't want to harm the birds, chipmunks, rabbits, dragonflies, lightning bugs, bees, butterflies and other visitors to our yard. Any suggestions of what would be effective and do the least harm to them? I came across one posting on GardenWeb saying the termite baits just attracted more termites.

I'm posting here since I think you'll understand the concerns we have besides just getting rid of the termites.

Thanks. -- Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

Lori, check with your county extension agent for positive identification (termites and some ants look a lot alike) as well as for recommendations of what to use. This is a serious issue because of the extensive and expensive damage termites can do to your home and the chemicals used are usually pretty potent. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 8:19PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Thanks Sandy.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 7:35AM
pianolady(z4bIA)

We had termites, and had to have the full-house treatment. I would highly recommend contacting a termite inspection company that doesn't do the bait method, and get their opinion, and an inspection if it turns out to be termites. A good way to find a local reputable company is to ask realtor friends.

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 3:45PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Thanks Pianolady.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 8:29PM
ohbugger

Orange oil termite treatment is a great option that minimizes harm to the surrounding ecosystem.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 1:34PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

ohbugger,

That sounds interesting, but I didn't find anything impartial that sounded that conclusive. It also sounds like it's for drywood termites which I believe are south of where I am.

Thank you though.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 4:52PM
JordanWalker

One of the best natural ways to kill termites is to attack them at their nest. You can use vinegar, either in its pure form or diluted in a 50/50 mixture with water. Try to pour vinegar every now and then. Repeated applications can be effective in preventing infestations.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 11:56PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Thanks JordanWalker.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:59PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

Borax is an ingredient in a lot of termite and carpenter ant treatments. It's applied as a solution to the wood but I would imagine you could sprinkle some old fashioned powdered borax around the mound.

If you want the treatment a popular brand is Boracare.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 5:45PM
loris(Z6 NJ)

Thanks jcalhoun. It looks like borax is about as safe a chemical for this as I'll find but there are some questions about it's safety around animals. I would probably try vinegar first and go on to borax. Per my husband we don't really have a mound, they're hiding underground and now we''re not quite sure where to get them. It's too bad I didn't know these possibilities when we actually saw some when we were digging planting holes.

Lori

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 7:42PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

You're welcome.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Birds wasting the milo in my bird feeders
I am new to feeding and attracting wild birds to my...
wasabi_VA
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Dramatic change in birdfeeder activity: Why?
About a week ago I put out a suet cake that seemed...
actionclaw
Juncos Eating Ironweed Seed
There are a half dozen or so Juncos eating the Tall...
kelp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™