Itchy, prickly weed

frobergs2July 11, 2009

I have a tall, itchy, prickly weed that is multiplying like crazy in a side garden. It's been raining here most of the last month, so my weeding is way behind...so some are up to 4 feet tall. It grows quickly on a tall stem, has multiple-pointed leaves on the top half, has tiny thorns on the stems and leaves, blooms light purple flowers with some white and yellow on them too. It hurts to pull it, and itches if it touches your skin.

I was hoping to google to find a way to finally get rid of this stuff, but haven't been able to find out exactly what it may be yet.

Many thanks in advance, if anyone has a thought about it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Sounds like one of the thistles. There are a bunch of different species. Pictures always help with specific ID.
There are others that fit the description, like some of the wild lettuces.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 4:01PM
oilpainter(3)

You have what they call stinging nettle. The little thornlike things irritate your skin and it has a stinging itch for a while after. It grows fast. One day it's a seedling and the next it's a foot tall.
Wear long sleeves and gloves to pull it and dispose of it. I never compost it. Get it before it goes to seed or you'll have even more next year.

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 10:38PM
maifleur01

I have never seen stinging nettle with light purple flowers. Stinging nettle arround here have two different types of flowers one is a long thread that unrolls under the leaves. The thread can be a foot or more in length but is generally only 2-3 inches longer than the largest leaf. The other type has a bush of light colored flowers that appear from the leaf joint. Neither one has thorns on the stems but a fine down that causes the irritation. If it was nettles you can eat them as greens.

I believe Hortster is correct that it is a type of thistle. Many will send up the flower stalk almost over night.

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 11:31PM
woodside(6 IN)

Maybe cut leaved teasel?

http://dnr.state.il.us/education/ExoticSpecies/Cut-leavedteasel.htm

My favorite weed...

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
what is this weed seed?
Found these seeds in a package of red lentils grown...
Okanagan
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Parsley-looking weed?
I planted a bunch of herb seeds in my tiny urban backyard...
Hilary224
Can you please name this weed which grows vertically
It seems to be growing vertically, can you please name...
maufie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™