What can I use for finch sock?

mdunkin(z10 CA)July 30, 2007

I have a unique birdcage without a bottom (decorative in style, not meant for real birds), that I want to hang in the garden to attract finches. Where do I get a finch sock for cheap? (Ebay wants to much with shipping). Is it something I can buy at a fabric store and make, or what else can I use to store the seeds that is wide enough for them to get to it, but not wide enough to spill out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terryr(z5a IL)

Wal-Mart has them with the seed already in it. I was told years ago that the socks harbor diseases, so I tossed all mine out. They get filthy and moldy really fast, so that was another reason.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 6:42PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I agree that you'd do best by getting a bag made especially for this job. They are sturdy and can be refilled over and over again. I wash mine occasionally and give it a soak in some mild bleach water. The filled bag costs just a few dollars at Wal-Mart, etc.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 3:42PM
lovefornature(5B IL)

I got mine at Wal-Mart also. I have heard some people say that pantyhose works well, but I have never tried it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 3:11AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

The finch socks are only about $2.15 at our local hardware store. I keep a few on hand and rotate them...When one needs filling, I replace it with a fresh sock, and toss the empty in the washer with a load of jeans. The finches don't mind if it isn't white-white, just clean :)

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 11:24AM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

Yup cheap, and they LOVE them, however Terryr has a good point, they need to be kept clean or they can spread disease, also need to be placed where they will not get wet and mold.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 9:11PM
nicolenanette(92019)

i had my mom in law take a laundry bag and cut it up so as to make lots of smaller ones. I think i got it at a thrift store. just throwing my 3 cents in. Not just 2 cents.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
I found a praying mantis cocoon, where can I place it?
I was pulling up weeds and there was a praying mantis...
ladyrose65
Deer mouse question
Twice this winter my cat has caught what I believe...
sparky_10
Cardinal garden
I shot this pic out my window one day. There are 27...
birdguy
30+ turkey vultures!
Hi all, I was driving home from picking my kids up...
catherinet
Anyone an Ecologists? Predation (Red Fox)
We have Red fox that seems to not have any predator's....
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™