Anyone have a stevia plant?

marti8aMay 20, 2011

How do you use it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have one. It probably should be more in the sun than it is. I throw it in fruit salads and smoothies if I want to bump up the sweet instead of honey. I have been thinking of adding the fresh leaves to cut the bitterness of tomato paste.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 10:16PM
marti8a

Thanks wantonamara. Do you use the fresh leaves, or do you use dried? I read on one website to harvest the leaves when the temperature drops, but before a frost because that's when they are sweetest.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 11:13PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I have grown them, but since I don't like sweets I've never used them. I do know that there are some cookbooks out there for Stevia Stevia rebaudiana recipes. Cindy with the Herb Cottage suggests:

Stevia can be dried or frozen for use or another way to preserve Stevia for later use is to make a strong "tea" or infusion. Take a couple handfuls of leaves in about 2 cups of water, simmer for 20 minutes or so, then leave to cool. Strain out the leaves and store this sweet liquid in the fridge for up to a month or so. Use it to sweeten winter drinks and baking. If you make more than you think you'll use up in about a month, freeze some to thaw and use later.

And the http://www.stevia.com/Stevia_Article.aspx?Id=2269 states:

A liquid extract can be made from the whole Stevia leaves or from the green herbal Stevia powder. Simply combine a measured portion of Stevia leaves or herbal powder with pure USP grain alcohol (Brand, or Scotch will also do) and let the mixture sit for 24 hours. Filter the liquid from the leaves or powder residue and dilute to taste using pure water. Note that the alcohol content can be reduced by very slowly heating (not boiling) the extract and allowing the alcohol to evaporate off. A pure water extract can be similarly prepared, but will not extract quite as much of the sweet glycosides as will the alcohol. Either liquid extract can be cooked down and concentrated into a syrup.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 2:01PM
Lynn Marie

I'm thinking Stevia + Mint + Rum = Garden Mojito!!!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 11:05AM
marti8a

Thanks to both of you. I think I'll go pick a few leaves and boil them like tea leaves.

ltcollins, I wish I didn't like sweets. I'm on a sugar free diet right now and it's really hard to watch other people drink soda while I drink water. Maybe this will help get me over the edge.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:28PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I've never been found of sweets; however, I do have an occasional Godiva chocolate. I keep a glass of iced water on my desk all day long. Adding fresh fruit and/or fresh herbs to it really helps my thirst and tastes better than just plane old tap water! You could just add a fresh stevia leaf to your water and see how you like it.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Does esperanza come out late?
Mine still shows no green at all. I bought it at Lowes...
marti8a
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Winterizing Jacaranda Trees
Some planting zone maps have Austin in zone 8 and some...
jtrevino
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
Sponsored Products
Oil-Rubbed Bronze Hardwire Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fine Art Lamps Brighton Pavillion 322740ST Pendant
LuxeDecor
Silvery Blue Tulips II Wall Art
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Illumine Ceiling Fan Glass Shade Frost CLI-CONG-216FR
$2.31 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Runner: Olympia Sage 2' 6" x 10'
Home Depot