Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease?

BlackberryJohn(z7 OK)July 27, 2006

Hello:

While working in the yard yesterday evening I noticed an unusual looking poison ivy plant. The leaves were covered with small nodules that I'm guessing was some type of parasite or disease and it appeared the infestation was so severe the plant was dieing off. Surrounding plants didn't appear affected by the condition - although admittedly there was only trumpet vine and grass in the area. Younger poison ivy plants did, however, to have the condition as well.

Has anyone ever encountered this before on poison ivy?

It struck me that if this was a condition that perhaps only affected poison ivy that maybe it could be isolated and used as a biocontrol for the plant. A Google search of "poison ivy parasites" (or similar) didn't lead me to any hits.

I apologize if the attached picture isn't up to par. Size limitations.

Any suggestions on how or if I should proceed.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catfishsam

Are you sure that is poison Ivy?

    Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 10:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BlackberryJohn(z7 OK)

I thought about that possibility too and yes, I'm about 98% sure that it is poison ivy. See link below for more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy Parasite?

    Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 12:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Perhaps eriophyid mites? If so, seldom fatal.

    Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 11:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

I couldn't find any pictures (yet) but I did find this info:

"Eriophyid Mites

Mites within this group are very small (0.5 mm long) and are rarely seen even with the aid of a 10X hand lens. They are generally colorless and are often identified by the damage they cause. The mites attack a wide range of plants, including maples, camellias, hackberry, American elm, willow, and ash. They are one of the few mites or insects that feed on poison ivy or poison oak. Unfortunately, the damage is not enough to kill these plants. The life cycles of the eriophyid mite are not very well understood."

at http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is1297.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: eriophyid mites on poison ivy and more

    Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 12:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

And here's more:

"Aculops toxicophagus produced puckered, irregular, wart-like galls on the lower and upper leaf surfaces of poison ivy. These galls turn from yellowish-green to brilliant red and make the usually dark-green ivy leaves very colorful."

And a photo at
http://www.hsu.edu/content.aspx?id=2151
You'll need to scroll nearly to the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: eriophyid Aculops toxicophagus

    Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 12:46AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
Bark mulch size
In my shrub garden, will large or small bark chunks...
gcotterl
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
Ailanthus Advice?
I've cross-posted this from the Trees Forum, but am...
shaxhome
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™