ID help please! Monster creeping charlie??

machelle_wJuly 19, 2010

This monster weed is ridiculously invasive with long white tubelike roots that grow horizontally and quite deep. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of them!

This isn't my garden, I found this picture online but it is EXACTLY what has happened to my garden and what this weed looks like. I left on vacation and I had a few that had grown back which were small (1' leaves) and came back 2 weeks later with the entire garden overrun.

http://thumb15.webshots.net/s/thumb1/1/83/56/176

Please help garden gurus... no one around here has any clue as to what I'm dealing with or how to solve my problem!

thanks!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tyrlych

A species of Petasites or Tussilago, more details needed to tell them apart.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 3:46AM
machelle_w

I think it's Tussilago farfara (AKA Coltsfoot)! I do recall seeing a couple of those yellow flowers, but there certainly weren't very many, and no where near how many leaves and individual looking plants there are now.

I would love to provide more information/take some photos today and post them. What information would you need to make a definitive diagnosis?

Does anyone know how to get RID of this horrific thing? I just read that it's listed as a noxious weed and banned in several US states.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 8:13AM
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

I suppose you have tried pulling them out?

Since you live in Montreal, you can only get non-selective herbicides are such as Round-Up or Wipe-Out. Be careful not to get any of the spray on the surrounding vegetation. It will take several days to see results, but I think that should kill off most of it and you can reapply if any come up again.

If you prefer not to use a herbicide, then use a vinegar and salt solution. Try to get some Heinz Pickling Vinegar which has a higher concentration of acetic acid than plain white vinegar.

You could also burn the weeds with a blow torch.

Whichever one of the above methods you use, I would first trim about half of the leaves and then treat the remaining leaves.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Best organic solutions
Hello, Any advice on the best things to buy to address...
tigger033
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
thistle help
For the last few years i have been battling thistles...
violet14
Sticky Weed, Sticky Willy, Velcro Weed
I wanted to post about something that is taking my...
Bryan Scott
Bright green grassy weeds!
Hey everyone - I appreciate the help in advance. I'm...
lukeduke02
Sponsored Products
Orange Kitten Cookie Jar
$29.99 | zulily
Blast Zone Shark Park - INF-SHARKPARK
$649.99 | Hayneedle
Pomeranian Cookie Jar
$29.99 | zulily
Kidwise Commercial Monster Truck Bounce House - KE-MN1141
Hayneedle
Monster High Ghouls Rule Bedding Set - FRNC033
$47.99 | Hayneedle