Kill weeds

ShiangliJuly 2, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am a new home owner to a house with a horrendous backyard. I have never owned a lawn before, let alone the weed infested mess you see here.

I want to overhaul this entire yard and start from scratch.

I spoke to a guy at Home Depot. He has recommended that I use a spade and dig everything out, then do the usual lawn soil + sod etc.

It seems like a lot of manual labor. Based on what you see here, would anyone recommend renting a tiller and tilling the entire lawn?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Shiang

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Is that Canada thistle?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:45AM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

purpleinopp has a important point - before you till, you need to identify what weeds you've got there, as some (like Canada thistle) have roots that will send up new plants if they are cut, which a tiller will do. So, ID first, then figure out how to get rid of them.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:38AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Since "weed" killers are not available to Ontario homeowners your only option is mowing and tilling, 3 or 4 times about 2 weeks apart. At that height those "weeds" will wrap the tiller tines so they should be mowed down first. The best time to seed for a lawn in this area of the world is mid September, time for those seeds to germinate and grow and get fairly well established before winter sets in.
A soil test for pH and major nutrients would be a good idea so any adjustments that need to be made can be before seeding.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:46PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

As Lisanti said, tilling thistle roots will result in more thistle plants. The other options also include smothering this whole area. Who said anything about weed killers?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:47PM
florauk(8/9)

I would definitely cut them down asap while you are deciding how to tackle them. At the moment they are not flowering but if you allow them to you will have a million new thistles to contend with. How big is the area? Digging them out is doable if it is not too large.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
So I've hoed hound now what?
So it's that time of year I have started to notice...
mushibu10
Preventing weeds
When planting bareroot roses, the instructions say...
gcotterl
ID weed, please
After living here 45 years, this plant (weed) began...
hottea
Fixed nitrogen in the soil
Is nitrogen fixed in the soil good or bad?
Gary Cotterill
Prevent new plants from growing
My garden contains roses, shrubs, gazanias, ornamental...
gcotterl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™