Lots (and LOTS) of burdock

DerrickLJuly 5, 2014

Some plants are nearly 6' tall-- they have not yet started to seed, but they fill the outer perimeter of my property. This seems to be fertile soil, and there are a plethora of little frogs and critters in the shade of the leaves. I feel bad pillaging their home. Any suggestions on what I might be able to replant in the area to keep all critters (my golden retriever included) happy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JasonFromWNY(5b)

Some information to narrow things down would be helpful. What zone, or at least a state would be helpful for figuring out what will handle your weather. Some details on the area you're planting into would be helpful also. Is the border area shaded by trees or in the open? Is the soil damp or does it get dry easily.

Most any small shrub or perennial plant that handles the area you're planting will probably serve the purpose. If you can get something that's native to your area, the critters would likely be doubly appreciative.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 6:04PM
eibren(z6PA)

Burdock roots are edible and have some medicinal virtues as well.

Deer also seem to like to nest near them.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 6:13PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone is of absolutely no use here since the only thing that tells us is which plant might survive a normal winter where Derrick is. Otherwise Jason is asking good questions that need answers.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:47AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

You could weed whack the flowering stems to stop them seeding but keep the leaves which can be fairly striking in a wild area of a garden. At least while you are deciding what to plant instead.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
The battle against Bermuda
Tilled a new spot back in late summer. In my past experiences...
jon2412
What is this in my garden?
I recently removed a plant from my garden and underneath...
Mustard06
How To Get Rid of Weeds Around Plants/Flowers?
OK, I'm sure this has been addressed over and over,...
Claire_from_Michigan
What is Virginia Creeper?
I have lots of some kind of weed that seems to come...
barb_roselover_in
opiopogon japonicus aka mondo grass
while not a weed, it can be an annoyance in the wrong...
bossyvossy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™